avox 24/12/17
Last reply 6 months ago
Getting used to FES machine

Hello!

I’ve recently been fitted for a FES machine and was told i need to use it on the exercise setting to get used to it.

I just tried it for the first time and managed to make myself so worked up because of the sensation that I went really light headed!

Now, I haven’t eaten a lot and my bodies response to panic and stress is to make me light headed so I’m going to try again after dinner and distract myself at the same time (I’m really squeamish and I can’t even look at it when it’s on) and they had all manner of trouble with me when they were fitting it because of all of this so I think I just need to put my big girl pants on and get on with it but…

Has anyone been as much of a wuss as me with it and do you have any tips on getting used to it??

Also do I need a letter to take it on a Eurostart to Paris as I’m travelling at the end of Jan and I didn’t even think to ask at my appointment!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
6 months ago

@avox , with MS, our bodies can be ultra-sensitive to any stimuli.

You need to allow your legs to get accustomed to the feeling of this stimulation. So, start at the lowest setting when you sitting at the dining table and allow your legs to swing freely.

The ideal starting point is in “Exercise” mode, so advance to this setting once you are happy with the feeling.

I can’t help you with the Eurostar. But, a covering letter would be a sensible precaution.

avox
6 months ago

@stumbler thank you!!

They have it written down that my exercise should be 40% but I put it on 32 earlier and I really really didn’t like it so I’ll bump it down real low and work my way up.

I was worried I’d put the pads on the wrong place even though I have two rings in pen drawn on my leg so I wouldn’t forget!

bowlocks
6 months ago

There is a travel letter (and lots of other good information) on http://www.odstockmedical.com.

http://www.odstockmedical.com/knowledgebase/travel-letter-patients-fes

cameron
6 months ago

FES is a big deal – emotionally as well as physically. It sounds to me as though you are missing a bit of the support needed to get you going on it. I do know what you mean about not wanting to look at it. It’s quite a business a) to learn how to position the electrodes and b) to re-learn your walking with it. IMO, you should take it all more slowly and don’t expect to get it right immediately. Just remember – it may look a bit threatening, but the FES device can’t hurt you. The worst that can happen is that it doesn’t work because you’ve placed it incorrectly. xx

avox
6 months ago

@cameron thank you for the comment!

I definitely think I plunged straight in rather than giving myself the time to get to grips with it. I’ve been taking it slow on the exercise setting and have managed to build up the % a little over the last couple of days so I’m getting there!

I keep just drawing over the circles that the physio drew on me the first time to make sure I’m putting them in the right place lol

cameron
6 months ago

Did they take photos of your leg with the FES in the correct position? I found this more help than the hand-drawn circles, which wore off too quickly! I had to look at those photos every morning for a few months before I could put on the FES without worrying it was in the wrong place. xx

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.