Last reply 3 years ago
Getting a Mountain Bicycle for Exercise

I’m getting a new mountain bike on Monday to help with light exercise to start off with. I went with a mountain bike with full suspension because I have a bad back and the suspension will soak up the bumps.

I haven’t ridden a bicycle for almost 10 years and back then I was healthy. I use to do a paper round in my local village before I got a motorbike and tool to riding that instead.

Now is there anyone else who rides a bicycle here and what do you generally take on short rides to help?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

Well done for planning some light exercise. We all need that.

I’m not a bike-rider anymore, so the only things I can suggest are some liquid to ensure that you maintain your hydration and to take things easy, so that you don’t overheat.

I do have an exercise bike at home, but I have problems getting my leg over! (Oo-er!)

northernlass
3 years ago

I’m going to join the gym this year and use their bikes as I too have a bad back (along with weak and wonkey legs) and have heard that it is okay to have a gentle cycle around as when leaning forward you are taking pressure off of the spine…??!! but as I too like @stumbler have a difficulty getting my leg over too (Oo-err too 😉 ) Then I am choosing the safety of the large stabilised bikes at the gym and maybe a tiny bit of slow paced tread mill too. Just a bit of info for any gym bunnies out there ( @sunnydaylover) I have found out I can join my local gym with a disabled membership which is £12 for the year and then I just pay membership entrance every time I go to the sports centre to use the facilities.. my blue badge is evidence of my disability but seeing as MS is automatically classed as a disability (There is a law about it somewhere) then a diagnosis letter should suffice.. but maybe worth checking out your local sports centre and see if they can do this too .. if you don’t ask is my moto !!!
🙂

stumbler
3 years ago

Due to my leg-over issue, I go swimming for my exercise. I go three times a week, doing 500 metres each time.

I go at 6:30 in the morning, as the pool is available for “serious” swimmers. The pool is segregated up for fast, slow and intermediate speed swimmers.

Me, and my two sticks, make their way to the pool and my two sticks are parked up against the wall. And my two sticks are not alone!

The only issue I have is getting up the steps to get out of the pool, but it’s very rare that I can’t manage on my own.

At 6:30, it’s a good session with regular swimmers that you get to know. I’ve even been accused of inspiring others, because if I can manage it, they haven’t really got any excuses – heaven forbid, me, an inspiration! 😆

northernlass
3 years ago

That all sounds lovely @stumbler all except the AM aspect of it..!!. Is the pool cooler first thing then..? And @Mr Velocity I have just joined my local sports centre £12.60 for the year and then pay as I go but if I want to RE-JOIN (I used to be a member) and use the gym equipment then I have to pay £40 and be shown how to make the machines work again because I am stooped and can’t possibly remember how to press a button that says START.. so maybe you are better off at home on your bike.. no-one else’s sweaty germs to catch and you can operate your machine for free.. 😀 Let us know how it goes.. I’m just going to start off slow with Aqua aerobics for a bit and hope I can manage to get my leg and myself over and out of the pool afterwards.. could be fun… or could be embarrassing… :-/

northernlass
3 years ago

OMG I’m sorry @Mr Velocity I’m such a numb skull I have totally misread your post, I assumed you were getting a bike for riding indoors; an exercise bike… :-/ Don’t ask me why my brain sometimes has a life of it’s own (I should call it BRIAN… 😀 ) Good luck with your bike riding OUTDOORS 🙂

mrvelocity
3 years ago

No worries @northernlass, I would join a gym if I had one in my village but because no one in my household drives, I can’t get to one.

I don’t particularly like exercise bikes as they are resistance machines and I have a week hip at the moment and that would make it worse. I will be literally on flat ground to start with so it will be easy for me. I can coast to cool down as my body temperature rises just taking a shower. So riding a bike at this time of year will keep me cool whist I’m active.

Where I work, I’m in the chillers and if they put me else where, I sweet like mad and end up taking a layer or two off to cope.

I’m looking forward to getting this on Monday as I will be doing some mantance first, swapping the inertubes with Slime pre filled inertubes to help protect against punctures.

mrvelocity
3 years ago

Arrived today and is fully setup for when the weather is better. Might be able to get out tomorrow, all depends on the weather.

tabbycat
3 years ago

Go for it! I have managed to fall off an electric bike and a kids scooter, but I live in hope!

eta
3 years ago

I am unable to walk but able to ride a semi-recumbent tricycle – like this one here: http://www.missioncycles.co.uk/semi-recumbent-trike-pi-42.html?image=0

It is the best thing we have ever done. My partner helps me on and clips my feet in the pedals (toe-clips) – they strap on and I’m away. I go round the town and people come out of the shops to serve me!

It is good for if you have bad balance and strengthens your core stability. I have ataxia in my right arm and hold my right hand with my left to put it on the handlebar.

mrvelocity
3 years ago

Finally got out on my new mountain bike today and I was suppized how much of a light workout it was but how tiring it is after 45 mins. I was able to do one lap of my block which is a average/small car park size before I had to rest for a couple of minutes inbetween.

I have tendinitis in my left hip at the moment and after I stopped riding, it was easier to walk but the pain slowly creeped back so it has a positive effect on the muscles in my hip.

I’m going to try this at least once a week now as I enjoyed it.

aussiekylie
3 years ago

Good on you @mrvelocity! The good thing about riding a bike is that “it’s like riding a bike, you never forget”,plus it might bring back some fun childhood memories….just don’t try any bike jumps haha

mrvelocity
3 years ago

@aussiekylie you know my child hood to well.

tigerdes
3 years ago

Have you been out yet? How did it go? Hope it went well 🙂

mrvelocity
3 years ago

@tigerdes yes I’ve been out twice now. I’ve also got my kids a new bike to join me. So far so good as I seem to be fine with my balance problems.

First time I went out I did ok and managed a lap of my apartment and the second time I did 4 laps before my legs were burning and tensing up.

It has helped me feel better about going outside and hopefully the weather doesn’t get to bad as I would like to continue short rides.

tigerdes
3 years ago

That’s great news and really nice to hear it’s something you can enjoy with your kids

graham100
3 years ago

I just got a new wheelchair with mountain bike tyres,, oh @northernlass my friend Brian said what you trying to say,, (poor Brian).

northernlass
3 years ago

Lol @graham100 a little play on words.. my brain having a life of its own so should be called Brian Ie: life of Brian.. and no offence to any lovely people called Brian 😀

northernlass
3 years ago

I feel a “Whacky MS Races” coming on…. Mountain bikes, mobility scooters and wheelchairs .. who’s in..?
😉

graham100
3 years ago

Up for that. And only my Sence of humour. Only Brian I know was on magic rounderbout. Lol

tigerdes
3 years ago

Shotgun being Penelope Pitstop. I look great in pink

graham100
3 years ago

I will be mutely. Medal medal medal. Lol

northernlass
3 years ago

I’m going to buy a large club and then not shave for a bit and become “CAVEY” 🙂

Anonymous
3 years ago

For what it is worth, I just got a TerraTrike Rover 8 Speed Recumbent Trike to try to return to biking. I have not been on a bike in 4 years since I started having trouble with falling. I gave it up for fear of killing myself:-) I have not had my inaugural ride yet which speaks to my poor energy and fatigue/pain issues. I bought the trike to hopefully help out. I was always very active before MS. I hope that switching treatments to Lemtrada next month gets me feeling like doing more.

mrvelocity
3 years ago

@mbrsinc I know exactly where your coming from. I use to ride motorbikes before I had a bad back and started collapsing but that was a year before I was finally diagnosed after having extreme vertigo one Christmas. I brought a Suzuki GSXR 600 and ride it twice. Once on the test drive, second was brining it home before I later feel to ill to ride and we sold it again. Made money on it though so that’s not to bad I guess. I was thinking of a trike but I’m not sure I could save enough up to get one as they are expensive for a good one.

Anonymous
3 years ago

I understand completely. I spent $1200 for a fairly basic one. I am paying Amazon store monthly with 0% interest. They have some nice looking ones with no gears. Can only do so much with that. So I convinced myself to go for it. I can add an electric assist for a few hundred more. I will see how it goes before I invest more. I have back trouble too. It seems to start out with spasms and then a pinched nerve. The only thing that helps is alternating heat with ice. My chiro told me about it. I also discovered that human touch massage chairs help. Good luck!

mrvelocity
3 years ago

@mbrsinc have you tried Amitriptyline before as I find it helps with spasms I use to have before I started taking it.

Only downside is the fatigue gets worse in the morning for me and I have become a nightmare to wake up properly before serten time if I take it late at night.

It’s difficult to adapt to but after a while I’ve kind of learnt to deal with it.

I’m on 10mg, any more and it becomes even worse of a problem and starts affecting my water works. It’s not a cure but is a good solution to back spasms.

stumbler
3 years ago

@mrvelocity , you can take steps to avoid the “zombie” effect of Amitriptyline, by ensuring that you take it 12 hours before you intend to get up the following day. 😉

mrvelocity
3 years ago

@stumbler I do try but I work until 21:30 – 23:00 some nights and as I start work at 17:00 in the afternoon and I’m up again at 7:30 the next day to take the kids to school or help get them ready. My partner needs me up to help her so I drag myself out of bed even when I don’t get to sleep until 3:00 some night. And she wonders why I am like I am. I’m a true zombie every day and I get it in the neck when I don’t wake up when she needs me to. I’ve thought about changing my hours to earlier in the day but I’m hopeless before mid day as it is.

stumbler
3 years ago

@mrvelocity , I can see the problems for you.

You may want to have a word with your MS Nurse to discuss an alternate pain medication that may fit more into your lifestyle. There are others available. 😉

Anonymous
3 years ago

I unfortunately cannot tolerate even a small amount of TCAs due to the urinary retention side effect. They totally shut me down even when helping with nerve pain. Good suggestion. It just was an unacceptable SE.

mrvelocity
3 years ago

It’s been a week of non-riding for me as my tendinitis has flared up again after over doing it at work cleaning shelves.

I’ve been back to the GP and I have some muscle relaxant tablets and been advised to up my Amitriptyline to see if it helps calm the nerves down and also been given some anti inflammatory cream.

Work won’t be happy when I go back but it can’t be helped.

lin-holland
3 years ago

Me & my husband were regular bike riders, then my husband had a car accident and had damaged his back, so we didn’t go for a couple of years. Then I got MS which didn’t help much, when I tried to get on my bike I couldn’t get my leg over! (pardon the pun). We put the bike in the back of the van & drove to Chelmsford there is a wide bike lane there which is good for me. Getting on it is really difficult, my husband has to lay it right down so I can get on it, after about 30mins my feet keep slipping off the pedals, which is not good, time to go home. All the same great exercise.

graham100
3 years ago

@mbrsinc. Let me know how you get on with the lemtrada. Trying to sort that myself. Tried to private message you, but not friends?

tigerdes
3 years ago

@graham100 feel free to drop me a message about Lemtrada

@mrvelocity hope you’re back in the saddle soon

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.