Anonymous 18/03/17
Last reply 10 months ago
George Jelinek Overcoming MS Program

Key points:
MS is the most common disabling disease in young adults
There is evidence of associations between MS, diet and other lifestyle factors
Professor Jelinek’s program uses exercise, meditation, low-fat diet and sun exposure to treat symptoms

Posted by MS Hope on Saturday, March 18, 2017

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

californiadreamin
11 months ago

@vickivictoria thanks for posting that info. We follow OMS pretty carefully so just to clarify a couple points on diet: is it is not actually a low fat diet, but rather a low *saturated* fat diet. The goal is to eliminate as much saturated fat as possible.

A couple other things on the diet, its basically vegan+ fish. Flaxseed oil and vitamin d are part of it as well.

Last point of clarification is DMT’s are recommended where they make sense. He is not against medince but part of the idea is all MS outcomes can be improved with or without medicine for following the protocal.

One thing thats nice is while there is a book, all the information is available for free on the website and the site doesnt take in any adveristing from pharma etc so i feel like they really are prety non biased.

Anonymous
11 months ago

Thanks @californiadreamin, I follow the Best Bet Diet which also recommends a low saturated fat intake – 15g. It does allow red meat once a week and personally my body needs meat occasionally. Here’s a guide to fats if anyone is interested:

Type of fats (source: BHF)

Monounsaturated:
Have these in small amounts. They can help to maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
Avocados, olives, olive oil, rapeseed oil. Almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts, pistachios and spreads made from these nuts.
Polyunsaturated:
Have these in small amounts. Polyunsaturated fats help to maintain healthy cholesterol levels and provide essential fatty acids.
Oily fish, corn oil, sesame oil, soya oil, and spreads made from those oils. Flaxseed, pine nuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts.
Saturated:
Swap these for unsaturated fats. Eating too much saturated fat increases the amount of cholesterol in your blood.
Processed meats like sausages, ham, burgers. Fatty meat. Hard cheeses including cheddar. Whole milk and cream. Butter, lard, ghee, suet, palm oil and coconut oil.
Trans:
Avoid wherever possible. They can increase cholesterol in your blood. Foods with hydrogenated oils or fats in them likely contain trans fats.

Happy eating 🥗🍎🍌

kathrynsilvestre
10 months ago

Hi, I’ve just started on the OMS diet too and so far find it fine. I love fish and veg anyway so it’s not difficult to follow. Im just wondering about bread and pasta? On the OMS diet do you reckon it’s ok to eat wholewheat pasta and wholewheat shop bought bread?
Otherwise I’m loving my daily porridge with almond milk, hazelnuts, berries and seeds!
And there are lots of good recipes in the OMS cookbook.
Good luck and thanks in advantage for answering my question sbout bread and pasta
Xxx

lucyh
10 months ago

Hello All, @kathrynsilvestre @californiadreamin @vickivictoria I’m on the OMS diet too, although I am looking at Wahl’s protocol (minus the meat) as she has some simple and brilliant ideas that work (for her anyway!). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc This is a video of her talking, take care, lucyh xx

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.