Last reply 6 years ago
Gene Link and Vit D

Hi

I know this link as been mentioned before:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16086004
“Rare gene links vitamin D and multiple sclerosis”

Just wondering if anyone has been checked out for this gene, I’m intending on checking mine out as my Vit D was low and I kinda belive the link. Will post any news.

hope everyone is well

neil

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

f3ng5hu1
6 years ago

I was told by a hospital consultant lady that although they do not know as to what triggers ms, that anybody getting it would have it in their system prior or up to their 15th year of age (even though it may not get diagnosed till much later). Sounds wierd huh? I couldn’t get my head round it either ^^

It is as well, apparently, far more prevalent in the northern hemisphere.

Anonymous
6 years ago

Its much more common in the northern hemisphere then the southern. Its one of the reasons they first made the connection between vitamin D and MS.

ej1985
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

There is some research going on in Australia to investigate the link between lifestyle and MS, including Vitamin D, please check it out if you have some time:
http://bit.ly/OMSresearch

jenko1972
6 years ago

Hi,

filled in the survey will wait now to see what the results are,
still really unsure of the link(if there is one) between diet and
Vit D.

best wishes

neil

djdsouza
6 years ago

You could try adding a vitamin D supplement to your diet for a week, then don’t have it for a week, and play spot the difference with your symptoms/state of mind. Was how I worked out it did make a difference 🙂
(you could then try replacing the supplement with eating more oily fish)

emarshallzo
6 years ago

i had my vitamin D done and mine was really low but then my mum had hers done and hes was low as well so must be a link!

pottypete
6 years ago

I had bloods taken before I went on holiday about a month ago. On my return there was a letter from my doctor telling me I was chronically low in Vitamin D, along with a prescription for a high strength Vit D supplement. He’s a new doc for me and I’m incredibly impressed with his actions here.
It is only after this that I researched the effects of low Vit D levels and it’s incredibly damaging. What I thought was my MS playing up, was in fact caused by the lack of vit d. I was in immense pain and nothing would alleviate it. Now it is diminishing to a certain degree.
If you haven’t been checked, get it done.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.