sianlaura19705 18/03/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Foot Drop Braces

Hi I was diagnosed with RR MS in September and I have recently started seeing a Neuro physiotherapist,after walking for longer than 15 mins she said that the symptoms I have are foot drop on her next visit she brought me a foot brace to try out, it is too small for my calf but I can see how it would help me I wondered does anyone use these regularly, are they only suitable to wear with trainers and what are they like on a hot day?
Thanks Sian

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Sorry I can’t be of any help with footbrace……although i’d like to try one……do you know the name of the manufacturer?

Foot drop is one of my main issues.
At the minute I use FES (functional electrical stimulation) on one leg and a foot-up on the other. The foot-up doesn’t work that well and the FES is time consuming to put on…….annoyingly so!!

lorag
3 years ago

Yes I started using one early last year. The afo I got isn’t the white plastic ones but a thinner black one I’m not sure what it is made off but the best shoes are orthodic shoes so can take the sole out so it fits good. But I think with most afo this type of shoes is best. It is expensive but u need to buy that many shoes and not all orthodic shes fit your afo. I find it helps a lot.

tracyd
3 years ago

@lorag … perhaps I’m being a bit thick but what is afo ??

lorag
3 years ago

Sorry that’s what the brace is called or the technical term. I’ll try find link to the one I have so u can have a look if same.

lorag
3 years ago

Here is a link to the one I have. U have used other types that don’t go on leg but just angle they are ok but limited to shoes and elastic breaks.
http://www.ossurproducts.com/ossur-afo-light-drop-foot-brace.htm

bowlocks
3 years ago

An fes is the best option in my view, because they can build muscle strength and even be set to exercise mode when sitting, so your leg can go for a walk while you watch the football. With a traditional splint the foot is isolated and the muscles will just waste.
http://odstockmedical.com/dropped-foot-treatment-0

tabbycat
3 years ago

Thanks for the info!

Anonymous
3 years ago

Ankle-foot orthosis (AFO) BTW,Have any of you tried dalfampridine? We call it ampyra in the US. I have been using it even before it became the current time released form that is prescribed. It solves my foot drop symptom totally. Depending on your particular situation it can be useful to solve several maladies and generally makes you stronger. It is prescribed for ALL forms of MS since it is not a DMD. It works for about 12 hours by helping the damaged nerves conduct signals better. It is approved as a walking aid only because that was the quickest path to regulatory approval. It only helps about 40% of patients, but the results were so dramatic for me that I suggest everyone inquire about it. It shows results in only a few days if it works. I will have foot drop on my damaged right side if I miss a day. I hope this info can help someone. It is one of the few things that really can yield dramatic results in only a few days.

stumbler
3 years ago

Alas, @mbrsinc , in the UK, Fampyra (Fampridine) hasn’t been approved for use with our NHS. So, it’s difficult for us on our little island to get it.

Personally, I keep asking, so I’ll let you all know if I’m ever successful. 😉

Anonymous
3 years ago

I took the compounded form (4-AP) for years with very good results. Same active ingredient but immediate release instead of timed so had to pop pills every few hours. The cost was very reasonable and could be had from local compounding pharmacies or even legitimate internet pharmacies. It enabled me to do all sorts of things that I could not do before. It was the only drug that I have ever taken in 9 years that had such a huge effect.

Anonymous
3 years ago

Alas @stumbler, that’s why they invented airplanes and boats! 🙂

stumbler
3 years ago

Oh, @mbrsinc , we can get it if we finance it all ourselves.

That’ll be the same cost as a boat or plane then! lol 😆

Anonymous
3 years ago

@stumbler, it really was quite reasonable. There is a pharmacy in Miami that was well known for it. I have often thought I would go back to the compounded version if my copay was not picked up by the Acorda copay assist program. The compounded version was actually easier to control than what I consider a problematic timed release formula. Look into it again!

stumbler
3 years ago

@mbrsinc , the way it works in the UK is that there are a couple of compounding pharmacies, but they need a specific prescription from a Doctor. The only way that we would potentially be able to get a prescription for AP-4 would be to employ a Private Doctor.

And, that’s where the costs in the UK start escalating………

Anonymous
3 years ago

@stumbler I think it is profound that so many obstacles seem erected against citizens living with such difficult circumstances from helping themselves. We have been fighting similar obstacles ourselves. Since you are the only blogger to reply, it seems the system has had a jaded effect. I would have been excited at a suggestion that could have helped my situation and would have wanted to quickly learn more! 🙁

stumbler
3 years ago

@mbrsinc , that’s why us Brits are said to have a stiff, upper lip. It’s where we are stopping ourselves crying from some of the treatment we have to contend with in this country!

It’s bureaucracy and political correctness gone mad!

And, yes, we do get worn down by all the head-banging against the brick wall. 😉

bowlocks
3 years ago

Anonymous
3 years ago

Has it gone unnoticed that the author of this blog topic and the immediate respondents dropped out as soon as the brace was addressed? I am afraid that we are “whistling in the wind” about an advancement that nobody here cares about. And as brilliant as Prof G is, we are living with MS and does anyone really believe that a pharma is going to fund yet another long term study and that the NHS will then approve it once we establish the theory proposed here through a carefully designed trial that will not improve sales of a compound known for decades to improve nerve conductivity? In fact it was speculated only a few years ago that the use of fampyra could have neural protective benefits. Some questions were posed in the referenced blog that seemed to confuse this symptom management agent for a DMT. It is not, for clarity’s sake. It is an interesting question if it is a “negative DMT”. I was taught early that it was difficult if not impossible to prove a negative and since I was eager to improve my quality of life, it did not occur to me that the carefully crafted clinical trials conducted around the world and all of their participants would miss something as obvious as was suggested in the referenced article. I have to believe that even if our worse fears were true, should we let the prospect of slowly accelerating the inevitable decline in our motor skills dissuade us from using the only known agent for many patients including myself from achieving remarkable, almost immediate results in only days of use to a point that is obvious that it profoundly improves our quality of lives. I am a simple man. I found some way to try it and see for myself. You only need a script and a few dollars for the compounding pharmacy ( Pay for it yourselves! It is an inexpensive compound if you don’t have to pay for a decade of trials) to see if you are one of the lucky ones that it helps. Why would we be so concerned about some proposed minute acceleration that requires a carefully designed multi year test just to measure a situation that already sucks? Sometimes it seems like we have unreasonable fears and over think the things that can help us.

nrl321
3 years ago

I had a brace personally fitted, the best thing I did was get rid of it because my muscles below my knee wasted away. I got more help with my foot drop by exercising and stretching my calf muscles, I also used electronic muscle stimulation. A physio should be able to give you some exercises?

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.