Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
3 years ago

@kimcarlson , the only concern is whether the flu jab contains a “live” vaccine, which could trigger our immune system.

The present flu jabs do not contain a “live” vaccine, so should be well tolerated.

The usual school of thought is that Flu is best avoided by MSers, due to our compromised immune system, so is definitely recommended.

I’ve been having mine annually for years.

thecuriosity
3 years ago

Yup, my doctors sent me a letter requesting I get it and the pneumonia vaccine a few months ago. They made sure to tell me it’s a dead vaccine, and I had the injections last week.

The flu jab was fine, the pneumonia was a bit sore, and my arm hurt for a few days. Obviously you go through flu like symptoms too, but I feel much stronger a week later.

jonesbear
3 years ago

I’ve been wondering whether to ask my Gp for the flu vaccine but I’m not too sure being that I’ve never had the flu,is it worth asking?

stumbler
3 years ago

@jonesbear , it’s definitely worth considering. Flu on its own is bad, but Flu with MS is even worse and is best avoided. 😉

jonesbear
3 years ago

Thanks @ stumbler I’ll ring the doctors tomorrow.

cameron
3 years ago

It’s sad that people are having to post about this at all, since MS is one of the auto-immune conditions that entitles the under-60s to an annual flu jab. You would have hoped that the GPs would have been joined the dots on this and put their MS patients on the list for the annual flu jab. Likewise, why are MS patients not routinely screened for vitamin D deficiency? Don’t get me started…!

jrdiddle
3 years ago

I’ve had mine, get it every year.

miskovic75
3 years ago

I am getting a flu-jab every September since my diagnose in 2004. Last year I forgot to get the shot, and got a pretty nasty flu around mid-October. @stumbler summarized it perfectly: flu is nasty enough for regulars, but for MSers it is a long nightmare…

kimcarlson
3 years ago

Thank you everyone!! I live in Japan and last year my doctor told me I shouldn’t have one. I do not know why he said that, but I am meeting him today and I will ask.

nrl321
3 years ago

I don’t get the Flu vaccine, I have not had a cold or Flu for 3 years since starting OMS lifestyle. While that lifestyle does not promise you will not get sick! there is a lot to be said for thinking a bit more about what we eat.

hayb
3 years ago

Hi it works for me, I have taking the past three years the vaccine, and I haven’t had the flu anymore gr. Hay

tabbycat
3 years ago

I checked with my doctor and she oked the free flu jab I was offered at work. No ill effects and no flu for 4 years ( you can still get a cold) but I get less colds than my husband which I put down to taking my msentials tablets six times a day.

kimcarlson
3 years ago

My MS doctor said this year it was OK. So I had one today.
Thank you for all your replies!

jonesbear
3 years ago

Finally had my flu jab today at the local sainsburys cost me £9 turns out I’m not eligible for a free one.

stumbler
3 years ago

@jonesbear , always go to your GP’s practice for your flu jab.

Having an auto-immune condition, i.e. MS, make you eligible for a free jab on the NHS.

jonesbear
3 years ago

@ stumbler it was the nurse at the gp’s that told me to try somewhere else because I wasn’t eligible for it free.

stumbler
3 years ago

@jonesbear , have a look at the following NICE guidelines for MS :-

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg186/chapter/1-recommendations

if you search for the word “flu”, you should get to section 1.4.3 and 1.4.4.

Perhaps you can educate the practice nurse……. 😉

jonesbear
3 years ago

Thanks for that @ stumbler it would seem someone needs too.

graham100
3 years ago

Had mine too. But if our imune system attacks our nerves because its gone syco and has nothing to fight. If we had flu it might leave the nerves alone?? NO.

northernlass
3 years ago

I had one both this year for free because of my MS diagnosis and also free last year as I am a carer for my son.. no one pointed this out to me at the doctors but they were very good about just wizzing me in as I happened to be there on the day.. and even went back to get my son to have one too (very afraid of needles so they got a doctor to do it and it was done just as he was saying “I really don’t like needles”…and then bosh it was done..). No side effects for either of us so I would recommend it as I have had flu years ago and I remember it was hideous. 🙂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.