Last reply 4 years ago
Flu Jab..

Apparently as we have MS we fit the criteria for the Flu vaccine. The nurse at the clinic was very good.. very swift.. didn’t even know it was done as it didn’t hurt. Even persuaded my needle phobic son to have it done. May have a few flu like symptoms over the next few days but at least now I should be protected against a worse attack of flu. Worth finding out when your GP is holding a clinic. Best wishes..

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

cameron
4 years ago

Soon after I was dxd, my consultant told me it was very important to get the flu jab every year.

stumbler
4 years ago

Good call, @northernlass.

A flu jab is RECOMMENDED for Msers. 💡

reddivine
4 years ago

Absolutely. i have one every year.

adamski
4 years ago

Looking forward to mine on Thursday lol 😉

lina
4 years ago

I’m having my a week on Thursday:)

missytiggy
4 years ago

Interesting.. I asked my MS nurse about this shortly after my diagnosis. She said she didn’t think I needed it.. I’m generally fit and well. Do I need this? Should I ask GP?

ellielou
4 years ago

Mine’s booked for Friday!

I had my official RR diagnosis a few weeks ago but have been expecting it for a few years.

Last year, in discussion with my GP, I decided it wasn’t worth it. This year, having just moved to a large open-plan office (germ hotbox) I’m definitely having it!

graham100
4 years ago

Yes. I’m booked plus they told my wife as she is my career she is eligible as well. So we are both having one.

graham100
4 years ago

Had another thought. I was told once in idiot form, that the body has an army of soldier like cells that get called up when needed to fight the infections entering our body, when the fight is over, they go back to base and play cards till needed again. But some get sycopathic tendencys and attack the nerves so if we keep getting colds and flu it would keep them busy, and they would leave the nerves alone?? NO??

northernlass
4 years ago

Missytiggy why don’t you phone your GP and ask their advice as to weather it would be worth it for you to have.. good luck 🙂

redfox67
4 years ago

Had my very first flu jab last year and will have one next week.

tiggermum
4 years ago

Had mine on Saturday. Feel fine – tingling a bit worse, but can live with it. Absolutely would say to have this every year.

caterpillar
4 years ago

Thanks for the reminder :-), got mine today.

mrvelocity
4 years ago

I got my first flu jab the year I was DX and I have had it since but I stage it away from my Avonex injecting on Wednesday, so I have the flu jab on Friday so I’m over my Avonex and have 4 days to get the flu jab over with.

sarahbee
4 years ago

Have you seen the new NICE criteria for flu jab? – From October 2014’s NICE guidelines for the management of multiple sclerosis Section 1.4.2 “Be aware that live vaccinations may ne contraindicated in people with MS who are being treated with disease-modifying therapies. Section 1.4.3 “Discuss with the person with MS the possible benefits of flu vaccination and the possible risk of relapse after flu vaccination if they have RRMS.”

Now, I have always had my flu jab as an RRMSer, and never been told about this. Thankfully I have never had a relapse after the jab, but it would be nice to be told this at the doctor’s surgery.

cameron
4 years ago

@sarahbee – I thought the flu jab wasn’t a live vaccine. But in any case, the advice from my neuro to have an annual one was unequivocal. He has advised me over the years on travel meds, why I can’t have a yellow fever jab, anti-malarials etc. so he definitely knows what he’s talking about.

sarahbee
4 years ago

Don’t get me wrong, I am not advocating people with MS don’t take the flu jab – I just think it’s inconsistent for NICE to publish their view and for the flu-jab organisers not to mention this. #whyamIsurprised

graham100
4 years ago

It’s always a tough decision to take any drug, but when the nurologist says you need to have one and my great GP who I really trust is always giving me the best advice, says yes you must prevent getting flu. I had one last year, and having one tomorrow, and tomorrow night cocktails And an Indian with friends. Woohoo.

thecuriosity
4 years ago

I received a letter from my GP about this, earliest I could get an appt is November the 13th!

The letter stated in black and white that the flu jab is a dead vaccine, so this should not contravene the NICE advice, If it wasn’t a dead vaccine I think they’d obviously need to let you know.

graham100
4 years ago

Had mine today, gave my wife one as well,, A flu jab,, your minds? Terrible people. Lol

northernlass
4 years ago

Lol @graham100 😀 I didn’t know anything about “Live vaccines” being a problem if you have MS so thanks @sarahbee for the heads up on that.. doesn’t hurt to be able to ask these questions from the Vaccine nurse I guess, most times I just go blindly into these things and put my trust in the professionals giving out the drugs. Will be a little more inquisitive in future.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.