Last reply 10 months ago
Flu and pseudoexacerbation/real relapse

Ok so the flu has been going around my house for 3 weeks and 7/8 days ago it was my turn (yay). Had very mild fever(not even below 100.5 deg F) which didn’t really interfere with me (effing shock me to be honest lol as I’m very heat sensitive, but the weather was cold anyways).

My point is, I started feeling like crap after the flu was over and I still feel like that, my legs feel stiffer than usual, I’m a little dizzy and my vision problems have increased a little now.

Do you folks reckon I’m going through a pseudoexacerbation? I have no new symptoms and it’s just older ones that have gotten worse. Am I just worrying about nothing?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

randymt
10 months ago

I forgot to add that I’m so damn tired all the time but I guess that’s the flu aftermath… And sleepless nights last week!

jcw3
10 months ago

I am also recovering from Influenza A which turned into pneumonia. I am still extremely weak and more fatigued than usual. I had it over a week ago. I think it will take some time to fully recover.

jcw3
10 months ago

The Ilness and infection of the virus can cause you to have a relapse or worsen your symptoms. I would call your physician to be on the safe side.

stumbler
10 months ago

@randymt , Tecfidera, along with the other MS drugs, are immuno-suppressant, which leaves us even more susceptible to these bugs and viruses.

The flu jab is recommended for MSers.

houdini
10 months ago

Hi, if it helps exact same situation. 1 week post flu, did not move from bed because of it! Fevers for 4 days. Now trying to go back to work tomorrow and feeling still so washed out and MS symptoms flared up! Think it will take Time to feel like normal pre-flu! Feel your pain too!
Take care and get your rest.

randymt
10 months ago

Ok guys, I ended up going to the ER today and my neurologist ordered 3 days of IV methlyprednisolone, and she started me on them immediately. The flu has been crazy in my country, almost everyone caught it and it was impossible not to get infected since apparently the flu jab this year had a low effectiveness.

MOREOVER, I was very stupid not to get the flu jab… :/ Not gonna happen again!

stumbler
10 months ago

@randymt , I wish you a speedy recovery.

It’s hard to imagine a flu epidemic in a warm place like Malta. My brother’s been visiting Malta just recently, so I think I’ll avoid him until I know he’s not a carrier! 😉

randymt
10 months ago

@stumbler , thank you!

It was kinda cold and the flu cases shot up during the holiday seasons, which is to be expected!

Oh yes, keep your distance if he is sick! 😉 Prevention, ALWAYS!!

dogsmakeitbetter
10 months ago

@randymt – I also stupidly didn’t get the jab and was really ill for nearly 3 weeks, but escaped pneumonia thank goodness. I slept about 16-18hrs a day, and was a mess for the hours I was “awake”. I’m now almost fully back on my feet (still having more than normal fatigue but then again that could be just my MS as I’m normally bad this time of year anyway) and I started my bug in the first few days of Jan, so it’s a long old road…

Don’t start doing your normal things too early, I did and it knocked me back again for another 4-5days because I wasn’t really well enough.

Hopefully the methylprednisolone gets you back on track 🙂

chezy17
10 months ago

I actually did get the flu jab and still caught it, mine triggered a sensory relapse. Third week in, and although I’ve shifted the bug I’m still numb and really tired. A new thing for me as I’m always on the go, who knew I could sleep so much, well in between school runs and things 😂😂😂.

potter
10 months ago

I had a relapse several days before Christmas, I lost half the feeling in my body. My neuro got me in right away and started me on steroids. Two day after I finished the steroids I got the flu, I was really sick for a week, I am 65 so I got the extra strength flu shot at the end of October. When I got over the flu I had some exacerbations from the relapse I just had, if I showered or tried to exercise the right side of my body would go numb for the day. Any infections can set off old symptoms. I heard that steroids make you more susceptible to colds and flu. I understand that there is two flu’s out there, one is stomach type flu the other is cough, sore throat, and fever. I had the stomach one and I found out that I could still get the other. I am very careful not to go anywhere with crowds and if I see someone who looks ill or is sneezing I leave. Potter

daybyday
10 months ago

I have not gotten a flu shot but I’ve been looking into it. I would have had to wait 6 weeks before I started infusions and I didn’t want to delay my treatment start. I wonder if I should try this week. I’ve been careful, but I’m definitely immune suppressed now and should start this habit. I’ve never had a flu shot and have only caught it twice that I recall, with 16 years in between, but obviously life has changed now.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.