Last reply 1 year ago
First relapse since giving birth 😢

I am looking for some advise. I gave birth to my lo in July last year. I’m experiencing my first relapse since and I’m currently still breastfeeding. I’ve moved house since my last relapse so I no longer have an ms nurse I can call and I’m currently waiting for a call back from the ms nurse at the hospital. Has anyone had a relapse while breast feeding? Can you take steroids? Am I selfish if I refuse steroids in order to continue bf my son? Sorry for all the questions but I’m really concerned and worried 😢

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stickler
1 year ago

I was in exactly the same position as you when my son was 10 months old. I was exclusively breastfeeding and was told that I couldn’t have steroids unless I stopped feeding. It was really hard as he was an out and out bottle refuser but he soon got hungry enough to have one after I’d made the decision to have the steroids. Of course it’s a very personal choice, but I decided that I needed to get well again quickly and start on a DMT. You have done brilliantly well to bf for this long but your health is as important as your baby’s so don’t feel guilty if you need to stop. You’ll be surprised how quickly they adjust at that age especially as he’ll be well into the weaning stage.

the research is mixed on how well steriods actually help with the final outcome of a relapse (conventional wisdom is it doesnt change the outcome, but that might not be fully correct). How are your symptoms? Are they impacting your ability to care properly for yourself and child?

Most kids in the US dont make it nearly as far as you did. My daughter weaned herself off by that point even though we wanted to go longer. I think you have done quite well to get to this point.

lozwo
1 year ago

I had a relapse when my little girl was 1 and had steroids and then resumed bf and the same with my little boy. I stopped while actually having the steroids and then started again maybe 48 hours after (although I think I was told to only wait 12 hours!). I can’t remember the exact timing but will find out for you.Can you start pumping now and build up a stash of milk? They do not stay in your body that long so you most definitely do not need to stop bf. There are so many misconceptions. Is there a Mothersafe line you can call?

lozwo
1 year ago

I completely understand how emotional bf is and to just have to stop is devastating!

lozwo
1 year ago

So the advise I was given was that for 1000mg of methylprednisoline x 3 days it is advisable to pump and dump for 8-12 hours after. So being safe – I left it a few days. This was just my experience and the info I found out so I urge you to look further and find out the drugs half life/safety if you do not want to discontinue bf as many women have with the right info, done safely xx

noelie
1 year ago

@slewis3 congratulations on your LO, and for giving her the best nutrition there is. I’m pretty sure I took steroids while breastfeeding, but LO was a bit older (17 months) I would take steroids after the morning feed and no feed during the day, I can’t quite remember 😧 that’s when I got diagnosed and it’s all a blur, and then again when she was 20 months, then I had to stop breastfeeding altogether at 21 month for treatment, that was the most heartbreaking decision I had to take, I understand how you feel. Unfortunately the nerve damage for me happened in my left arm and leg, so my mobility is now very poor and impacting my LO ‘s life. Depending on what your symptoms are, really think of the consequences on the long term when considering treatment. You’ve done an amazing job 😊

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.