Last reply 3 months ago
Finding Personal Care Assistants

For those living in the UK with personal care needs, how do you find the people you employ? I live in Southampton and until recently we had a Centre for Independant Living that acted as a safe brokerage service between those those looking for work and those needing PA’s to employ. They have had their funding cut and no longer have the resources to help.

Additionally there seems to be a shortage in Hampshire with agencies also reporting a challenging in finding staff. I have tried using the PA Pool website but there isn’t anyone in my area looking for work. Some people have suggested Gum Tree but I am a little concerned about the safety of using this medium. Does anyone have any experiences of this?

I need to expand my team soon as with only two carers, sickness and holidays become a really issue.

Any thoughts welcome.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
5 months ago

@reddivine , can you provide any advice here? Thanks.

reddivine
3 months ago

Sorry I have only just seen this!

We used Gumtree and were successful in attracting interest and you basically filter prospects thru interviewing, application etc. We also used PA Pool, and the local council had a site set up for similar. Its anonymous – you reply thru Gumtree.

Penderels Trust is another one, they are my payroll provider.

Google “advertising for personal care” and several site pop up. Be careful! Some want you to subscribe to a service – which may not result in any hits.

I do know other disabled peeps who need, and found it hard to attract carers, it is a pretty ill paid job, with crummy hours lets face it. They used Facebook and other routes. Try offering ABOVE what the local authority is paying. If you are using Direct payments you will have to stick to their guidelines and be limited to personal care. Advantage in self funding is you can basically write your own job description.

I wish you good luck in your search

grandma
3 months ago

I live on Stoke- on-Trent and can’t find any help, like red divine said poorly paid, antisocial, etc., you have to be very careful going it alone, I have been stolen from, had drug takers, had a spare room so did a deal over rent and caring, ended up evicting 2 ‘tenants’. Council don’t want to know, all charities that might have helped have had their funding cut, yet another example of our wonderful government and being disabled😂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.