Last reply 4 years ago
Finally started Avonex!

Hi everyone, hope you’re all doing well 🙂 So, after reading lots of horror stories about Avonex I was pretty much terrified about taking it myself but two months ago I finally decided to go on it. I remember how scared I was so I hope my experience with it might provide some relief for anyone thinking of going on it. What was most scary for me was the Avonex needle on the auto-inject pen – it seems pretty big but thankfully the actual injecting part turned out to be pretty much painless… it is definitely less painful than blood tests and not being able to see the needle when you inject helps calm the nerves a bit 🙂 The side effects have been tolerable too; I mostly get flu-like symptoms but I take ibuprofen and paracetamol and time my injection so that I can sleep through them. Side effects do defer from people to people but I was wondering if anyone else got headaches and felt completely out of it and energy-less the next day? Is there anything that you do to minimise side effects the next day? I always feel iffy about taking ibuprofen and paracetamol too much and usually take them as a last resort :/

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

rich1982
4 years ago

Hi B Shah. My experience is very similar to yours. I started Avonex a month ago and was quite anxious about the whole injection business and the side effects. The injection using the pen has become pretty routine, and with careful timing of paracetamol to keep me covered in the evening and into the night, the side effects are nothing major. However, I do find that I feel a bit hot in the night – no big issue but just enough to wake me up, and like you say, a bit hung over the next day (although thankfully just have a fuzzy head rather than a full blown headache).

I’m afraid I don’t have the answer to your question, just was interested that our experiences at least seem very similar, and wanted to say that you’ve raised a very good question and I will be following this post with interest 🙂

PS

One thing that I have learnt is that when you shut the little lid on a sharps box, they seal shut. Was fiddling with mine before reading the letter and click, shut it with nothing inside – wops!

thecuriosity
4 years ago

Hey, that sounds like my last two days in a nutshell, although I’ve had to start in the mornings so ive been awake when flu symptoms really hit. It was my first dose as well. If anyone has any good tips for reducing problems (my nurse advised paracetamol and time), I’d like to know.

rich1982
4 years ago

Based on a sample of 1 (i.e. me) and having no inteligience or knowledge in these things, I found the first dose much worse than the 4 or so that I have had since, so hopefully your next injection will be better @thecuriosity.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.