us-emma 29/11/17
Last reply 6 months ago
Fatigued? Check your B-12 level

Thank you to @tracyd for your post https://tracyslemtradajourney.blogspot.com/2017/09/1-year-15-weeks-post-r2-were-getting.html?showComment=1511932610169#c8440740304717137284

I wanted to say thanks for posting about B-12. I had completely forgotten about that vitamin and it might help a bit and haven’t checked my levels in at least a year- as other things have not gone well and I lost track of ‘the essentials’. I posted to your blog but also wanted to mention it here. People should be reminded to check B-12 deficiencies in our fatigue ridden lives..

For the unfamiliar, B-12 is an essential vitamin that if deficient can lead to fatigue. Levels are checked via a blood test. Unlike Vitamin D, you need an intramuscular injection (usually butt cheek) to restore your levels- oral supplements don’t do the job. Injections are usually given monthly.

This is certainly not a cure-all for fatigue but can help in the overall picture. If you haven’t had B-12 or Vitamin D levels checked in a while ask for blood tests. A TSH test (for thyroid dysfunction) is also a good one to check- especially for women. If your levels of all 3 are normal follow up yearly. If you have abnormal results, all can be treated fairly easily and your doc will request follow up studies likely more frequently.

You can ask your GP for these tests- that are not specific to MS. Either a Neuro or GP can check on this for you and follow your care on these issues.

Thanks again Tracy!

Take care of you,
Emma

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.