Last reply 3 years ago
Fatigue and lack of appetite

I am fairly new to the MS world. I was diagnosed nearly a year ago but have been largely in denial until recently!

I don’t know about anyone else, I guess we are all different, but the fatigue seems to come over me in waves. I’ve just gone 6 weeks feeling really good (more tired than I used to be but able to function relatively normally), and then 3 or 4 days ago the fatigue hit me like a steam train – quite out of the blue. When this happens I find I have no appetite, and that is not like me! I also get forgetful, which is making work an absolute nightmare. I forgot a client’s name yesterday when making an introduction – my mind when completely and utterly blank. It was so embarrassing.

I’m pretty sure all of this is connected to the MS/fatigue, but I was just wondering if this is common with anyone else. Although I try and stay positive I get really down when I go through a spell like this.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

scotkiwi
6 years ago

Yup I get fatigue too. I still bike about but Somerset a 20min cycle takes me over an hour!
My legs give way fairly often too.
I never have any appetite and have to remember to eat!

scotkiwi
6 years ago

Somerset ?
That should be Sometimes!

ophelia
6 years ago

I can sympathise with the lack of appetite and have subsequently lost over a stone in weight (I won’t lie, i could have done to lose a few pounds!!) I have to remind myself to eat as I just don’t get hungry. I do have days where my appetite returns though, it’s swings and round abouts! x

abbie1982
6 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It’s nice to know I’m not alone with all these strange goings on, and I know exactly what you mean when you say it’s swings and roundabouts – the loss of appetite comes and goes seemingly with no known catalyst (as with all the other symptoms!)

danrb80
6 years ago

Yeah im new too just 3 months and yes fatigue me suddenly too which is annoying and my memory and talking fails most people have to complete my sentances for me, so I know exactly what your talking about.

lottie
6 years ago

fatique and memory issues also go hand in hand with me. It is such a relieve to see that i’m not the only one making a fool of myself 🙂 names of my friends children that i’ve known forever, or even friends or routes that i’ve driven a million times before seem to just vanish in my mental foggyness. Or just words for things. And than for weeks i’m fine no props almost as someone switched me back on! x

aoife
6 years ago

I get this too. Fatigue hits me in waves every now and again, but I think I have this under pretty good control because of my diet. The loss of appetite worked in my favor, it was easier to give up certain foods as I just wasn’t hungry. I have a terrible memory. I went in to teach my class a few weeks ago and started into a discussion that I was so proud of all my student for knowing so much about… turns out I had done that exact subject the previous week!… I write things down now! It’s the only wayI can keep track!

reens
6 years ago

I wish I could have bottled and sold whatever was going on in my head during a bad relapse, would be a millionaire in the weight loss world!

It was really weird, had to force myself to eat and the fatigue came hand in hand with it so you’re not alone. Fatigue comes and goes these days, new to everything so not sure what foods to avoid to help :s

Anonymous
6 years ago

Fatigue is one of my big issues. When it hits me it hits me HARD. I have a hard time doing really anything. Something its more of a physical/muscle fatigue…like I just got done with a run or a heavy weight lifting session when all I’ve done is got up off the couch and other times its more of a mental/lack of sleep feeling fatigue…where all I can think of is lying in bed.

I also go through long periods of almost no appetite where I just don’t. My partner ends up having to force me get food and he has to remind me to eat it. But I tend to leave meals barely picked at.

I’ve never paid any attention to whether or not my fatigue and lack of appetite happen at the same time or are completely separate. I’ll have to start taking notice.

IANG
6 years ago

HI ABBIE I AM THE SAME FATIGUE HITS ME AT THE SAME TIME EVERY DAY WETHER I HAVE DONE ANYTHING OR NOT . THE APPETITE THING I DONT HAVE ONE AT ALL . IF I COULD GET AWAY WITH HAVING NO FOOD AT ALL IT WOULD NOT BOTHER ME . I GET AWAY WITH HAVING ONE MEAL A DAY…..TAKE CARE AND I WISH YOU WELL….IAN G X.

dmkfl1
3 years ago

This thread is old but hey I’m up. I have many of the symptoms as all of you. The fatigue runs into simple things like paying bills. I have to force myself out of bed and do this. If not many creditors would be in the dark or would I. Not paying the electric bill. lol. I sometimes wonder if the fatigue is leading to depression. I just want to get up and do but for now I just have to wait.

danrb80
3 years ago

You know what? Fatigue is a s### thing. Simple tasks knock you out which is really annoying and angers me. Even the modafinil I am on is great, does not mean I can suddenly do what I used to. Walking around a shop (1 little) knocks me out after makes me feel pathetic really.

Oh well I am learning slowly but as you all know it is a mean task.

northernlass
3 years ago

I’ve taken to writing a list of what I need to do for the day on a pad next to me on the sofa where I start my day with a cuppa… and then as they are done I can tick them off.. and take the list with me wherever I go. My fatigue hits me at any time but normally I wait till my kids are home safe and sound in the afternoon and then I just conk out on my sofa (Got duvet and pillows all set up) for anything from an hour to three hours….!!! it takes a big chunk out of my day.. 🙁 and same with appetite.. most days don’t have one and have to remember to eat.. but then I never fancy anything… 🙁

dmkfl1
3 years ago

Northenlass it sounds like you have a plan. I do the list but I have to force myself to do the things on my list. Wow you have kids, hats off to you. Well I hope things ease up for you and your days get more productive. I guess just try and enjoy the small things.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.