crystal-2017 26/11/17
Last reply 7 months ago
Fatigue

Hiya
Until I get to receive a ms team, I wondered if anyone had any tips on managing fatigue please? I have a healthy lifestyle and sleep well. I cannot exercise at the moment due to my bambi legs playing up but am soon to now get some help with them, fingers crossed!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

nutshell88
7 months ago

Hi
I followed an unhealthy tips :/ had MS since 2005 brain is well damaged but i hardly ever get relapses. And ive never been on treatments. Fatique is there still but better I suffer tea and coffee addiction :/ and thats my only tip

crystal-2017
7 months ago

Hi
Glad you dont suffer relapses and have not needed any medication.
Thank you for getting back to me ☺

crsullivan
7 months ago

Hi!

I had the same problem with my legs when I got diagnosed and I had to relearn to walk. Any exercise is better than no exercise so maybe try to still do workouts with your arms/abs. I went swimming – starting with 10 minutes swims and adding time as my legs got stronger. I found swimming helped a lot when you struggle with bambi legs. The workout might make you have more fatigue until you get stronger though.. I have started eating differently – cutting out many processed sugars (not all.. got to treat yourself every once in awhile), drinking 2 liters of water a day, doing yoga/meditation, and getting fresh air everyday. All of these things have helped with my fatigue.

Everyone is different so my best advice is to try different things (different workouts, coffee/tea, changing eating habits, getting fresh air) for a period of time and find what works for you and your lifestyle
=)

dlg57
7 months ago

“Bambi Leggs?” LOL! Now I know what it’s called. :o) @crsullivan, could you recommend a good beginner yoga video? I’ve never tried it and am 60 yrs old and not real flexible. But I’ve heard it is easy on the joints and great for building strength.

crsullivan
7 months ago

I use an app called Down Dog, which is free. You can pay for special features – but I never use them and I am also a broke college student. The app is great because you can set the speed and set the amount of time you want to do a yoga ‘class/session’ for. You can even skip songs if you don’t like what they are playing, also can skip positions if you aren’t strong enough to do the one they are doing. The workout is different everyday and is generated specifically for the time you want to do yoga for, so you always have a new workout. They also have levels – so as you get better you can increase the difficulty. They also have restorative yoga which is just stretching – great for before bed or first thing in the morning if you are stiff.

noelie
7 months ago

@crystal-2017 i’m struggling with fatigue too, both physical and mental, it’s a tough one, you’ve got some very good advice from @crsullivan here.

In terms of exercise, another good one to try is pilates.

A good start is to work out what triggers your fatigue, then it will be easier to manage.

Personally, reducing my saturated fat intake helped a lot, another trigger of mine is heat, so taking cool showers, managing stress (through regular meditation), not rushing to do anything, and very important: taking regular breaks throughout the day before you get tired to manage your energy level.

Good luck and look after yourself x

nutshell88
7 months ago

@crystal-2017 Hi you are very welcome. I’m skeptical about the treatments leaving them might be the biggest mistake in my life. Or maybe the opposite either way I couldn’t tolerate side effects.and yes I dont get relapses but I have an atrophy in my brain already. With MS I can’t win it all 😉

ant1975
7 months ago

@crystal-2017 Hi . I take Vitamin B12 complex tablets . They work great for me . Also exercise whatever you can do is great !!

crystal-2017
7 months ago

Hi All

thank you for getting back to me.

ant1975 – unfortunately I cannot tolerate B Vitamins for some reason. I do try a little walk round the block but it is hard when I work full time and with the cold weather brrrr.

noelie – I know one thing is stress but that is an ongoing struggle of mine to find another route until I can exercise again. I will give Pilates a go when I am feeling up to it.

crsullivan – some great advice thank you. The yoga app sounds great if I can get it on android and good that you can suit it to your needs. I like swimming but have a problem with my neck and seems to flare it up as I cannot put my head in the water ha. Fresh air and more water are things I need to work on. I work full time so the cold nights are a struggle to get out but I do a bit when I can, legs permitting.

nutshell88 – sorry to hear that 🙁

bernadette
7 months ago

suggested to me, 3 Ps Plan, Prioritise, Pace

and found this to be good advice,
and essential are my 10 minute lie-downs, 1-2 per day. i couldn’t get through a day at the moment without them.

crystal-2017
7 months ago

Hi Bernadette
Those lay downs sound great but i work 40 hours per week so it is just not possible but would help any others reading this, so thank you.

noelie
7 months ago

@crystal-2017 i’m going to be direct here, i hope you don’t mind. You need to slow down, fatigue is your body telling you what you are doing is too much. Fatigue is not going to go away miraculously. Look after yourself, the longer you leave it, the harder it gets. I’ve left it too long and i’m struggling to recover, learn from others mistakes, don’t ignore MS or try to prove you can do it, the risk is too big.

crystal-2017
7 months ago

Noelie
You seem to have misinterpreted what I have said. I have just been diagnosed with ms this Oct. I purely work through the week to keep a roof above my head. Evenings and weekends I rest as I listen to my body. It has come to a point where I need a happy medium to work round the fatigue rather than it taking over, as this is probably something I am always going to suffer with. I do not ignore my ms, i am just trying to get my head round things.

noelie
7 months ago

Sorry i misunderstood. I was just sharing my experience, and reinforcing the importance of Bernadette’s advice in taking 10 min breaks throughout the day. If you don’t need them, that’s great, you’re doing well.

crystal-2017
7 months ago

no worries and thank you. I have taken some good advice from you all, which I really appreciate. Work are supportive too which helps 🙂

us-emma
7 months ago

If you are B-12 deficient, monthly intramuscular injections may be an option. I posted a thread about this today.

I take Adderall (amphetamine salts) for fatigue. This would not be an option if you have any heart condition but it does work wonders- I have tried Provigil and Vyvanse in the past and Adderall is by far the best for alertness and fatigue.

I also lost weight with a healthy diet alone (unable to exercise due to fatigue- so that was a long road on diet alone). Being a healthy weight lowers the natural inflammatory process that being overweight can cause. Less inflammation is better for your MS overall.

Of course exercise, fresh air, water, de-stress all are great ideas. I echo everyone’s healthy lifestyle interventions, just wanted to add a few Rx suggestions.

Another would be sleep- if you have difficulty falling or staying asleep one of the Rx sleep aids might help fatigue too. Other ‘sleep hygiene’ suggestions can be tried right now- without seeing a doc. If you need ideas google ‘sleep hygiene’.

It is a tricky symptom and my worse one for overall function.

Best wishes to finding your way through,
Emma

crystal-2017
7 months ago

us-emma

thank you. I am waiting back of my vitamin level blood tests from the hospital but have not heard anything at all. I will have a read of your thread and look into these, although I am looking for a med free way to help with this if I can.

I have a healthy diet and weight so there is not much I can do on that one.

I sleep great, and could sleep the clock round, so luckily that is not an issue for me.

thank you Emma 🙂

topsyjkv
7 months ago

When I feel fatigued I put on music that makes me want to move and chair dance for a bit. I find it gets me moving again, don’t know if it’s just because I’m getting oxygen round the body. Hubby says I look like a chicken on acid, but it helps me. In summer cause I now live in Spain I get in the pool, that works so well to.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.