Last reply 3 months ago
Endurance vs. Strength Training activiti

Hi all,

While I’m trying to stay active by exercise/yoga, I do fine strength training (both upper and lower body workouts). But do poorly in cardio/endurance activities which I really need.

Walking for more than 25-30 minutes is a challenge. Toward the end, I find it difficult to catch myself with foot forward resulting in a front falling gait. Looks like inner thigh muscles are giving up on me during such activities after a while. Cannot run with confidence for more than 1/4-1/2 mile.

Was wondering why effects on endurance activities are much more pronounced. Also, if there’s specific advice for building a more endurance ?

Thanks.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 months ago

@arknat , I have no idea of your age, so the following may be inappropriate.

But, we have to live within our capabilities. As we age, those capabilities will reduce. That’s a fact of life. MS just adds another aspect to the equation.

Try and better yourself by all means, but do it gradually. Otherwise, be grateful for what you can do. 😉

arknat
3 months ago

@stumbler, thanks for your response. I’m in the mid-forties. Although not young, this is MS rather than age related imo. When I was diagnosed with MS with ON as the first symptom about 3 years ago, I used to be quite active … running between 6 and 8 miles. Even during the time of ON and double vision I was a regular runner. Things then started going south slowly affecting my feet starting with a foot drop.

Now I’m trying to walk without issues for at least 1/2 hour 🙁

stumbler
3 months ago

@arknat , be wary of Uhthoff’s Phenomenon (https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/uhthoffs-phenomenon) and that raising your core body temperature can temporarily exacerbate MS symptoms.

arknat
3 months ago

@stumbler, yes I’m looking at cooling vests to alleviate the phenomenon. Thing I’m confused about is this happens when the weather is cold as well. Would the core body temperature be higher then as well ?

Only thing coming of all this is that takes lesser distance and time to challenge myself and burn as much calories as I would have before my MS !! That’s my positive thinking for the day 🙂

stumbler
3 months ago

@arknat, you can still increase your core body temperature in cold weather, through extreme exercise.

You’ll just recover quicker in these cooler conditions

vixen
3 months ago

Hi @arknat. As @tumbler suggests, the forties are the period in which bodily changes and increasing restrictions seem quite prevalent, with or withou MS. I am a few years older the you, diagnosed last year. I can’t walk past 25 minutes either and it’s really frustrating as I used to walk 1.5 hours a day no problem at all. But, I continue walking now in smaller bursts, more often. I do 20 minutes core strengthening exercises in the evening too. I work full time and am actually quite pleased with this level of activity. When I had my first major relapse 20 momths ago I couldn’t walk 100 metresas I was so fatigued. But I’ve gradually built it up little by little, but never forcing the issue, and having a few days off if I feel a bit ‘reduced’. Good luck, stick at it!

arknat
3 months ago

Hi @vixen,

Thanks for your comments. Good you’re keeping active and working around your issues. Keep it up! When my relapse happened, I couldn’t do more than a few steps .. I worked my way up as well to nearly 2 miles. But I don’t get the same each time I walk! Varies for reasons I cant understand. Agree, I may have to do something similar as you rather than pushing it .. Coming from an old school of thought where you push to get better, it probably wont work for me now.

Trying to hang in there … While I’m grateful for what I have, I’m striving to keep it as well and not lose it ….

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.