Last reply 6 years ago
Emotional response

I’m wondering if any of you have heightened emotional responses (not mood swings)? If I’m watching a film or even reading a book and there is a scene that brings about a smile or sadness, I have those emotions, but I feel them too a much higher level than I did before the MS. I’m not embarassed by the tears that ensue from these occasions, just mystified by their occuring more and more.

Maybe it’s just me being a sad romantic though, haha.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
6 years ago

Hey, PP, it’s a sign of age – I know from experience!

🙂

markms
6 years ago

hi pete yeh i have the same thing you find your self about to cry at the most stupid things lol

Gav
6 years ago

I have laughter with my MS, which kind of fits my personality 🙂

Its fairly standard to get random tears or laughter with MS.

jenko1972
6 years ago

Hi

I seem to laugh a lot at inappropriate times, not sure what I can do about it. Just keep telling myself in the scheme of things there are far worst things that can happen.

Best wishes

Neil

pottypete
6 years ago

Nice to know I’m not alone, haha. I laugh at inappropriate times too, but I think that’s just my wacky sense of humour.

markms
6 years ago

wow thak god im not alone thought that was just me i did it at funeral could not stop grinning felt well bad.

jenko1972
6 years ago

I too had a laughing attack at a funeral, just stared at the ground. I also take my children to mass it got so bad that people were commenting behind me “unbelievable”. I now sit on my own in the foyer. It is a problem but there are far greater ones.

Neil

Anonymous
6 years ago

I’ve noticed I am far more emotional recently. This is fairly new. My last MAJOR relapse (2011)…after it had passed I was pretty stoney. I had emotions about the situation in general…but I tried to keep pretty neutral and did so without much effort.
Now? Now during my 2nd MAJOR relapse….my emotions are everywhere. I cry or get angry or frustrated or overwhelmed far more easily then ever before. Sudden mood swings on occasion as well. But I can’t seem to control my emotions nearly as well as I used to. I’ve also noticed that when I find something truly funny…I find it REALLY funny. I’ve startled my partner a few times with uncontrollable laughter as well.

cameron
6 years ago

I’m more sensitive to mood, atmosphere, tone of words etc. I find myself channel-hopping because I suddenly can’t look at how a plot is developing or when I’m hearing news broadcasts that are getting gloomy. I walked out of that film about ballet (Black Swan??) because it was all about mental illness – I tend to go to comedies and light stuff. Can’t be doing with anything heavy. MS or age? No idea.

chueykooh
6 years ago

I am definitely extremely emotional since my last attack, sometimes when I talk I feel like I might cry or laugh for no reason at all. I might almost start to cry when I talk even when I’m not sad, or start laugh as I’m starting a sentence. It’s the strangest thing.

pottypete
6 years ago

@chueykooh That’s exactly how I feel. I’ll be really enjoying a film and I’ll fill up with tears. Sometimes I’m having tears roll down my face when I’m not having any emotion going on, none that I’m aware of anyway.

chueykooh
6 years ago

@pottypete I’m glad I’m not the only one, I thought I might be going crazy. 🙂

stumbler
6 years ago

So, has anyone watched the Shift-MS film “Gallop”?

That almost had me going…………

Anonymous
6 years ago

I sometimes cry at music I used to love. Weird stuff.

aardvark
6 years ago

I recently watched the final episode of the final season of Six Feet Under. I’m sure that it was my MS that caused me to blub like a child . Well that’s my excuse anyway. And as for The Time Travellers Wife. Let’s just say that she wasn’t the only one to go on a roller-coaster journey. Probably my MS again…

bubblesgalore
6 years ago

i wish i could have the tears and sad emotions. i laugh most of the time. it comes over as hard and practical. guess its still early days for me 🙁 xx

messpositif
6 years ago

Me too, big time.
Tears and laughter by the bucket, but also really strong empathy for others too.
As if my mind’s protective shields are lowered so feelings get through far easier.
It’s reassuring to hear others (especially tough blokes like me) get this too.

pottypete
6 years ago

I embrace the emotions now. It’s nice to feel something so strongly. As I said in my first post, I’m not embarassed by the tears. Others can think what they like, I’m big enough and ugly enough not to care what they think, haha.

jonnydrama
6 years ago

I have increased emotional sensitivity because I can relate much more to situations. Having a wife and kids, I watch a program and think what it would be like if it was me. I giggle a lot at my own jokes but thats just me 🙂

Its interesting because a lot of stuff is making me well up more in recent times in general, wonder if its the MS, but then again I’ve had a massive change to my outlook on life now I’ve been dxed so could be that! MS uncertainty strikes again!!

rochelle28
6 years ago

Haha yes emotional both ways…I laugh when I’m not supposed too. I can start crying over something silly that just hits some weird nerve.

Anonymous
6 years ago

A lot of what I am hearing may be associated with PBA, or pseudo-bulbar affect. It affects about 10% of MS patients. It is characterized by sudden laughing or crying and overreactions to seemingly benign conversations. It might be something to discuss with a neuro if it becomes too troublesome. There is an rx out there for it now. Brand new.

Gingus
6 years ago

I noticed the over emotion watching films at home and struggle a bit with some situations at work so there’s no way I’m ever watching ET again!

travis15
6 years ago

i also have this

phoenixfire92
6 years ago

I noticed this too. I really laugh out loud at things I find funny and sad movies have me crying where as before I didnt express those emotions so visibly now they are really magnified.
Glad I’m not alone

celticsins
6 years ago

I have this too! I am always an upbeat person but lately I find myself laughing at everything which does not always go over well with others.

manc1
6 years ago

google emotion liability in ms it offers an explanation which may help.

zoom
6 years ago

And I thought the whole point behind MS is that it’s unique for everyone! I don’t feel special anymore 🙁

stumbler
6 years ago

There’s a name for everything these days!
🙂

reddivine
6 years ago

Ah PP the sign of A Real Man! the ability to blub like a girl at films and such….@stumbler is right, its an age thing! and judging by the jokes, yes a very wierd sense of humour..! But then mine is slightly warped, so who am i to judge?!!!

pottypete
6 years ago

@manc1 It’s actually called emotional lability, not liability,lol. Although it feels like a liability, haha.
@zoom You’re still special, as is everyone with MS.

messpositif
6 years ago

I get patches of overwhelmingly strong empathy for others. Almost as if my being has been teleported into that other life. At times seeming to see and feel their hidden sadnesses and painful secrets.
I’m not looking to do this, nor meddle with others. I don’t do anything about it, nor has it ruffled others (more the reverse), it is just feelings in me. However, rather than seeing this as a liability, rather I wonder if it is a gift with some purpose as yet unclear to me. That said, I don’t want to be a magnet for the woes of others, at least beyond a normal measure. Labile and not in my control.

cameron
6 years ago

@messpositif Is it because MS puts thoughts into your mind which you don’t necessarily want, because they’re deep and disturbing? Having ‘been there oneself’ it’s perhaps a shorter step to recognise when other people are in difficulties.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.