Last reply 2 months ago
Electric Wheelchair Assessment Passed.

Had my Electric Wheelchair Assessment for Home environment and accessibility, earlier today and I passed, Hurrah!.

Now it’s all a waiting game, as usual.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@peterfrancis , you did better than I did with this assessment.

My physio suggested a powered chair. An OT came round and measured me and put an assessment request to Wheelchair Services. The next thing that happened was a company telephoned me to advise that they’re delivering a wheelchair in 3 days time.

Well, I contacted the OT and left a message.

Later the same day, I received a letter from Wheelchair Services, providing details of the wheelchair that would be delivered shortly. I looked it up. It was a manual, self-propelled chair of inferior quality to the one that I had acquired myself a few years ago!

I telephoned Wheelchair Services and agreed that they cancelled the order.

2 days later, a wheelchair was delivered, which I rejected.

I’m glad you did better than me………….

peterfrancis
2 months ago

@stumbler

Sorry to hear about that dude, must be so frustrating.

No idea how long it will take for me to get the chair, the Assessor retook my measurements and had a look around the Bungalow at turning points and accessibility etc.

This info will be passed on to the Manufacturers.

stumbler
2 months ago

@peterfrancis , shit happens! Ha Ha!

To be honest, I didn’t want a powered chair anyway. And, I’d probably have to buy it myself – the benefit of living a sensible, frugal life!

grandma
2 months ago

I had my assessment in Jan after a years wait, chair delivered in 3/4 weeks all is good. Controller took some getting used to, when you’re a driver it’s difficult when you haven’t got a steering wheel! I don’t have to use it all the time, at home I wall walk, and I go out on my mobility scooter to shops, dentist etc., but there are certain places you can’t take it, the hospital being one if you are taken by ambulance (which I have to be at the moment because mr government in its wisdom took away my mobility car if 19 years) A place I always took myself to, at my expense, contributing to NHS by way of car parking charges, but hey who am I to arguen with mr government, they must know best! Chair is great worth the wait. Hope yours is as quick.😍

peterfrancis
2 months ago

@grandma

Yeah, of course the self serving Tory basket case Government knows best, why wouldn’t they?.

I have a Scooter that I use when needs be, just that I require help with getting it out of the house which is not always available. Not that I have anywhere to go most of the time anyways.

The Chair will give me that little bit of freedom, I hope.

grandma
2 months ago

Peter, I couldn’t get in or out, mr council have just built me a ramp and installed a low threshold door so I can now drive straight in in either vehicle. Have you asked the counci? I didn’t have to pay anything as I have no savings. They have also just put me a through lift in, so I can now go upstairs to bed and use my disabled bathroom! They have spent about £20,000 on me, I had to sign forms to say I wasn’t going to sell the house in the next few years. Going into a home etc., doesn’t count if I sell,I have to pay them some money, but I have lived in my house for 43years, and they are carrying me out of it in a box (minus the brain and brain stem which is going to the ms societ for research) worth a call to the council Occupational Therapist?😍

peterfrancis
2 months ago

I moved into a Bungalow (Council) about 5 months ago which was already adapted and partly suited to my needs. The previous occupant was disabled.

Had a Ramp installed in preparation for the Electro Wheelchair and had a sit down Shower / Wet Room fitted.

grandma
2 months ago

Good News about the bungalow and wet room, but you did say that you have trouble getting your mobility scooter out of the house without help. This shouldn’t be the case . I’ve noticed you’re only in the next county, I would have thought that Cheshire were on a par with Staffordshire (I’m in Stoke by the way), as I said the council put a low threshold front door in so I can drive both the scooter and the electric wheelchair straight in, so it can be done!😍

peterfrancis
2 months ago

Cheshire council are a little backwards or behind with most things.

Although the Bungalow I’m in is not with Cheshire Council it’s with Guinness Homes.

My Scooter stays outside, too large to be used inside, not the biggest of Bungalows it’s more like a shoe box to be honest, lol.

grandma
2 months ago

You must have one of the big posh mobility scooters, we only a few miles apart, must jump on a train and come and see it! Mine is small, comes apart very easily and goes in the boot of a car, (that is when you’ve got a car, and the government haven’t taken away your mobility car of 19 years because you are ‘insufficiently disabled’ to warrant it and you have to go to court to get it back), so your ramp will be enough for your wheelchair when it finally arrives. Good luck😍

peterfrancis
2 months ago

@grandma

My Scooter is far from Posh and yes it does come apart for when the Battery needs charging, it is portable too, fits in the boot of most cars.
Just that it is a bit heavy and bulky.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.