Last reply 5 months ago
DVLA medical check

hi guys , i have to have a DVLA medical check by my GP do any off you know what is involved in the test and what i should expect ?
yours hank

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
5 months ago

@hank , it’s just a very cautious GP, who probably hasn’t seen you recently. He just needs to confirm that you are fit to drive, which may only involve a chat………

hank
5 months ago

thanks stumbler as usual you are the font of all knowledge
hank

lucyh
5 months ago

hello @hank, Stumbler is correct…the GP needs to know your vision is ok and that you are physically strong enough to drive. Your licence will be granted for 3 years at a time, I think. Take care!

sigmadelta
5 months ago

I told the DVLA 2 yrs back when I had my last major attack. out of the blue!
I applied to motabilty at the same time and went for a voluntary assessment at their Southampton centre.
Apparently if you apply yourself, the test is not as rigorous as it would be if you were referred by the DVLA.
I only did it in case I had an accident and my insurance would be voided.

I was given a 3yr license then.
They gave me a new car, all fitted out with hand controls and I also got free tuition for it.
First brand new car I ever had..lol.. So it’s not all bad.
Altho’ I have deteriorated since then, it’s only worsened in my legs, which doesn’t affect how I drive now anyway, (always driven automatics).
Having said that, the change to hand controls only was indeed daunting!
But I was amazed at how quickly I adapted to it.
And now I have to say that if I miraculously recovered, I would find it hard to drive using my feet again..lol.
I have yet to receive my renewal notice from the DVLA.
But I think it’s simply a box-checking thing.
If you have to go for an assessment, don’t worry. They are wonderful, and truly on your side. Their mission is to keep you driving when possible, not to stop you.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.