Last reply 2 months ago
Dry Mouth

Does anyone else suffer from excessive dry mouth at all?.

I have read some articles saying that this is not an MS symptom but, I don’t recall ever experiencing it this bad before.

I drink plenty of water during the day so it’s not a dehydration issue.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

mlgilber1
2 months ago

I do, but I’m pretty sure it’s from some of my medications. It’s a common side effect of some of the meds I take. It doesn’t matter how much water I drink…

stumbler
2 months ago

peterfrancis
2 months ago

Ahh, difficulties with speaking and swallowing, which I have, thanks @stumbler.

@mlgilber1 The medication being a cause did not even cross my mind, I’ll be sure to ask my Nurse about it, thanks.

stumbler
2 months ago

@peterfrancis , you may also want to look up Sjogren’s Syndrome…….

peterfrancis
2 months ago

@stumbler, I read a little about Sjogrens syndrome yesterday, my eyes sometimes get very watery, looks like I’ve been crying but the tears sting, very irritating.

zoeb
2 months ago

Hi all
Yes I do get this and I struggle with swallowing as well. Also the dry eye thing is a major issue too. I think there’s something in it being that Sjrojens thing – or potentially exacerbated by the bladder meds.

I tried chewing gum but had to stop recently due to phantom smells which made everything smell of ply dough! Ha ha ha I can’t bear most foods and drinks at the moment!!

potter
2 months ago

Peter I have extreme dry mouth, I use all of the dry mouth products but they wear off in a short amount of time. I have had a lot of crowns put on my teeth because the dry mouth is causing decay at he gum line. I usually have to chew a piece of Orbit gum in the middle of the night. It has the chemical that reduces dry mouth in it like other dry mouth gums but it is affordable. You have to be careful around pets with it, it is deadly to dogs. Potter

peterfrancis
2 months ago

@potter

Thanks for the info, not a Gum chewer but I’ll give it a go.

cameron
2 months ago

I’ve been reading in the barts blog about the importance of oral health and the connection with dry mouth/gum disease is a worry. One thing that has worked for me to keep the gums more or less OK is to use a dental pick after brushing and flossing. There are 2 kinds on the market – I use one that looks a bit like a crochet hook, not the very fine C-shaped one. You just very gently go along the gum line and literally pick off the plaque. It’s very rare for me to do this without there being three or four plaque particles – so before I started all this muck would have stayed in the mouth and has probably contributed to loss of bone. It’s so effective I don’t know why dentists don’t recommend it instead of trying to sell you mini-brushes etc. When I asked my dentist about it he just said it was a good idea.

potter
2 months ago

Cameron I use regular floss, the picks get stuck on the edge of my crowns. I have tried several toothbrushes, the Sonic electric with the mini head works the best for me. It took me a while to figure out a way to tackle this problem. Potter

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.