avrilt 04/06/17
Last reply 8 months ago
Down South…..

…..to all my shift friends down south, I hope you are all safe and well. I can’t believe this had happened again!

My heart goes out to all involved.

Take Care

Avril x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

red-suzuki
8 months ago

Amen to that @avrilt…….I really, really don’t know what to say…….its madness personified at it worse……

Thoughts & heartfelt feelings to all you guys & gals.

Red xx

avrilt
8 months ago

Hey @red-suzuki

Glad you are safe!

Avril x

merfield
8 months ago

Thanks @avrilt, my daughter lives in London, but she was here this weekend. Friends of hers texted to say they had been in the vicinity but were OK. It’s bad, but we mustn’t be cowered by it. That’s what they want. @red-suzuki, I agree with your sentiments…..’madness at its worst’.xx

red-suzuki
8 months ago

Am fine, well away from those destructive few, but thanks @avrilt & @merfield…..Like you @merfield have youngest daughter in that area of London….She’s says just getting on with it….& as you say Carol, thats the way most folks want it…..its a very, very sad inditement on our modern world….love & thoughts London…..Red

potter
8 months ago

It’s amazing how people get brainwashed on the internet. It didn’t make national news but a few years ago we had a local man in his 40’s got brainwashed by ISIS. He worked at the airport and was told to build a bomb by ISIS, he didn’t know how. He thought he had contacted a bomb builder on the internet, it was actually the FBI. They helped him build a bomb that was harmless, they arrested him when he was driving through the security gates at the airport. He had other weapons with him, his trial is going on now and he is claiming the FBI set him up. In a small town near me a little over a year ago a worker on drugs killed a dozen co-workers and injured more. Recently in another small town a group of men decided to blow up a hotel where Somalians were living, the FBI also stopped this attack. I live in Kansas in the middle of the US, I have wheat fields at one end of my street and cows at the other and I live in the city limits. With the bombings, mass shootings and even the fighting on airplanes is a indication of the collapse of humanity. We will just have to love each other and hang on tight, it is going to be a rough ride. Potter

vixen
8 months ago

Yes, I live in London very close to what happened yesterday. I think history shows us that humanity has always demonstrated episodes of verging on a ‘collapse of humanity’. Living in Europe there have been appalling things going on for example, in the Baltics not even 2 decades ago. Humanity can only collapse if enough people choose to be part of the collapse. The most important thing us little people can do is live with a clean and pure heart, hold family and friends dear and always remember that we don’t have to lessen our own strength of values and beliefs just because there are some right weirdos out there who don’t respect those values. And that’s what needs to be passed down to our children. And as Potter says, avoid internet brainswashing! Stick to Shift though, that’s a neccesary!

avrilt
8 months ago

@meryfield and @red-suzuki glad your daughters are both safe!

@potter that is some scary stories!

@vixen glad you are ok. I liked your comment about sticking to Shift!

Love and hugs to you all!

xxxx

potter
8 months ago

Vixen is right about history repeating itself I had to take a lot of history in getting my art degree. That is one thing we learned that history repeats itself over and over. I learned that art is unappreciated when there is big social change coming, there is no funding for it or sponsors. It becomes very crude because the artists don’t have the money to create and survive. Funding has been cut to the quick for several years in the U.S. Potter

red-suzuki
8 months ago

Yeah @potter….I was a member of the ‘Starving Artists’ years ago…for creatives of all types of artist….join & hope you were recognised, some made it others created just for the love of it….but do you know, a lot found their routes….a real passion….Red

avrilt
8 months ago

Hey @potter it is a shame about the squeeze affecting artists. I do enjoy crafting myself, although I only do it as a hobby and to raise money for charity, there is no way I would be able to ear a living from it. But as @red-suzuki says I have found my passion.

red-suzuki
8 months ago

Good for you @avril ….. I think you & potter have both got the passion @avrilt..like you & @potter say, its difficult to neigh impossible to make a living out of it….those that do, its really great to see, Heavenly known a few over the year that have….more who just do it for the love of it……have a friend who works in ceramics, loads of stuff, craft shops etc…but is happy if she sells one or two pieces a year…..wont ever make her rich, but hey…..Red

avrilt
8 months ago

@re-suzuki yeah I think I spend more on my hobby than I will ever make! But like you say it is a passion and it is great to try out new things all the time. But hey at least having no money gives me one less thing to worry about lol

There is a great hotel down in Exeter that is a craft and spa hotel, I was there about a year and a half ago and loved it. You could try out various crafts then go relax in the spa! Total bliss….. but the drive down was long. Hoping to go again there soon though, it was worth it. Went to Bath on the way home to try some of the healing water, but as I still have MS think I need to get some more!

red-suzuki
8 months ago

πŸ˜‚ @avrilt ….bath’s healing waters….😊, go float around for a while & shut off from everything if you can…..you never know, it might heal somethings. if not MS….. Wow the Exeter craft & …….erm……spar….Scheeesh….(what is it about spa’s)…..does sound like a great combination….. in Cambridge in previous years they have had 4 weeks of Open Studios which I used to go to a lot, there are hundreds of Art studio’s, people’s houses of all types of creative Art’s to look at and salivate over….πŸ˜†…. have this July’s details and am seriously tempted, only if I go with a close friend who wants to go though, as a mental crutch…….we’ll see

avrilt
8 months ago

@red-suzuki that does sound like a plan, I definetly want to go to Bath again it is a lovely place. There are loads of nice place down that way, but I did find the roads a bit strange. In that the road to bath just seemed to be like a road through people’s houses and the traffic getting out of Bath again took forever! But maybe I went the wromg way lol

Yeah the Craft and Spa place is amazing! I went there like a month after my diagnnosis just to get away and I though deal with what had happened, but I thnk I ended up too focused on crafts to think about my diagnosis lol I guess I am still trying to figure it out, I try to avoid it for 6 monthe but then ended up with a major relapse and didn’t have tiem to digest it all. But I am aproacing the 2 year mark this week (Is that sad I see it as my MSversiarry?) so think the news is settling in now.

Open studios? That sounds fab! I have never heard of that up here – probably because someone would be away with your TV lol You should definetly go if you feel up to it. It always good to see others work and eh sometime steal their ideas! Why do you need a mental cruch? Is it to stop you buying more stuff lol

red-suzuki
8 months ago

Hiya @avrilt …only ever been to Bath once & yeah agree, it had loads of lovely & nice places to go & visit…. & stayed near a river, near big square, and all the roads had a Roman feel in lots of strait roads with roads coming off, if memory serves….And yeah do remember the route there was interesting..lots of places you went through, looking like you’d gone down someones drive type thing….& this was back in the old days of AA Maps….no SatNavs…….& you had to avoid those horse & carts , gents in top hats & ladies in bussels everywhere LOL..

Last time I did weekends of Cambs Art Open Studio’s was when next year after first DX’d…its is amazing you focus more on what your seeing at the time & your brain can process or where your off to next place, than the DX…hey a really nice distraction technique at the time….boy did it come home to roust later though…..Yeah there is so much ‘what the hells happening’ to get your head around….urm…I know its not really something of a congratulations….But its a weird kind of ‘well done’ on two year MSversary!!!!!.

πŸ˜†πŸ˜† It does seem to be historic about up there isn’t it, that unlocked or opening your doors & its ooopppsss there goes the TV or toaster or sofa lol….You want to see the amount of padlocks down here on things LOL….I will go if I can, am seeing & talking to Cambs mate this week & see if he’s interested is…erm…like you πŸ˜ƒ interested in ‘stealing some creative ideas’ too, this year lol. as for the mental crutch, it helping me get around, doing the driving, shoulder to hold…sharing the passion & just being their for….well just being their….know its talking out of school a bit of a no no, but can send you a pdf of this years programme, only if you are interested…kind of give you a feel only of whats on & some of the folks work & yeah the other reason I want to go with Cambridgeshire mate Jerry is he can look after my wallet, just incase I get tempted lol.

potter
8 months ago

I have sold my work at galleries, right now I am not selling much I am trying to stock pile it. When my husband retires he is going to set up a internet business and sell it on-line. Since my work I am doing right now is hand coiled with intricate glaze patterns on it they take longer to make. The money he makes from the pots he will use for his passion restoring old cars. Speaking of open studio, our city has opened a free one for anyone to use. It has everything from pottery to welding, they have volunteers that help you build a chair if you want. They have some classes they charge for like glass blowing and pottery, I have never been there. A new art center is being built closer to me it was donated by the Koch’s one of the richest families in the U.S. they are from Wichita. They donated the land and 20 million dollars, I have thought about getting a job teaching there. Our state government has cut the funds to the arts drastically, they tried to eliminate it entirely and found out the state would lose federal money if they did. It’s wonderful to have the volunteers and donations to keep art alive. Potter

red-suzuki
8 months ago

Hiya @potter….I knew you had done many things in previous past, commission work….I think their was a letter box….memory shot to pants right now & though you produced loads of pots and bits & pieces & sold them…..Oh I see hubby wants to get his latest passion on the road…good for you….The open Studios their sound amazing…make your own things…ooohhh, sounds so much better than the ones here…they do have working studios, but mostly places where artists work from or what their currently working on….Really hope you do get a teaching position & working on you passion, pottery. koch’s donations of funds & land sound amazing….& for such a good cause too….Glad common sense prevailed over there if not completely for the right reasons, but does art alive for all our futures…

avrilt
8 months ago

Hey @red-suzuki that was a long time ago lol Yeah crafting is my happy place! It is definitely nice to have something that can take your mind off all the other stuff. Did you have a rouch time around your diagnosis? Well I am seeing my MSversary as a good thing as nearly two years in I am still smiling lol

Yeah I think it is historic as I just realised my back patio door has been unlocked for a while as can’t remember last time I used it lol Padlocks – I thought it was supposed to be nice down there!?! Lol

Sounds like you have a good friend/taxi driver there! I guess you can’t take your money with you so you may as well just spend it lol

@potter that new studio sounds amazing! Great way to keep people interested in crafts. You should definitely get a job there and pass on your knowledge. Your work sounds amazing!

Avril x

red-suzuki
8 months ago

Hiya @avrilt & good morning from a very drippy, cold south right now….just in from picking up stuff that got knocked over last night, so sorry haven’t got back, have only just hooked in on laptop….south is just a place at the bottom of a compass, any thoughts it might be a user friendly place is a total misnomer, as many padlocks round here as you can shake a stick at….house here for instance is locked up all the time…it used to be like you, you could leave door unlocked all the time…but hey ho…time change……oh their are some amazing folk & I think the farther south you go…Cornwall, devon….there are some very friendly folk, who would give you the time of day…..but alas round here its a case mostly, of folk looking & going about their busy days with heads down & rushing from A to B……it certainly is not very south today…yuckyπŸ˜“…..You sound like you have a real love for crafting & producing for charities as well…am really quite touched by that…love to see some of your stuff sometime….Must admit my painting used to have a kind off soothing effect, could leave all the stuff out when I was in my flat & pick up where I left off at any time…the move over here & reduced right hand dexterity combined with dark room & having to get everything out, (upstair in bedroom too)…then think about colours & stuff…then paint…….oh & then putting everything away to leave place tidy, just got to much.

At time of DX was a very strange roller coaster, that you just couldn’t seem to get off at the time….just more than anything ‘was what the hell was happening & going on with body’….was it really rough for you at the time of DX?….My 7th MSversary is in August & still chewing the cud & getting on.

Yeah my friend Jerry is the salt of the earth, guess we have known each other since the early 80’s…..Good point about, you can’t take it with you….have been thinking a lot about that lately.

@potter did you ever get that memory stick of some of your pieces of pottery, I would love to see some pieces sometime if possible…..Yeah agree so much with Avril, You should get a job at crafts studio & pass on your great knowledge & talent to keep the creative interest in pottery going…. John X

potter
8 months ago

Red I got the memory stick back from from son and he said he had done the best he could. When I looked at them I figured out what was wrong with them. My bother in-law took the pictures but I don’t think he understood angles. I had a tall rotating pedestal to put the pots on but my bother in-law is really tall. He didn’t kneel down, crouch or bend over, all of the photos are taken from a downward angle. The pottery looks weird I just about deleted them all when I first viewed them. I don’t own a good camera, I have to buy one and do this again. My son is a good photographer, he is suppose to back in the states in few months. I can check with the Ceramic forum for the best camera to buy. I’m about to start a new mural it will be made out of purchased porcelain tiles. It is going to be outside and that is the only tile you can use outside on a floor in our weather here. Haven’t worked out the design and colors but it shouldn’t be to hard. Potter

red-suzuki
8 months ago

Oh no @potter kind of do know that ‘on downward top of the image’ shot, just got photo done by friend 2 weeks ago for new blue badge & friend ended up with all top, downward angle type shots….most alarming to see yourself like that……All best with re-takes of shots of pottery & designs & your production of the porcelain tile mural…..you really are an amazing inspiration…..

merfield
8 months ago

I’ve missed this thread, only just found it……it right up my street(/road)….sooooo sorry I missed it.
Partner used to always ‘do’ Open Studios but sold nothing last June so hasn’t done it this year. It’s a brilliant idea. Potter – sorry to hear yr pics were ‘from the top’…..it’s not flattering for pot or person, RedπŸ˜‰. Creating stops you dwelling on your situation. Your Bath trip must have been great Avrilt. We used to go there a lot cos partner’s son lived there – he’s a sculptor and model maker. Congrats on your MSversary!!!! Keep at itπŸ‘πŸ». There was a local artist called Harry Becker ( think I got the name right) and partner is taking part in annual ‘Inspired by Becker’ exhib held in a village church up the A12. Not sure if I can ‘get’ into the place these days for a look but I’ll have a damn good try. Really great to read of all your creativity and constructive thoughts. Don’t let the MS bugger get to youπŸ˜„πŸ‘πŸ»xx

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.