Last reply 1 month ago
Does anyone freelance?

It’s become clear to me that I’m likely to find myself jobless fairly soon, for reasons that I can’t legally go into… I’m hopeful there’ll be some sort of payout when this happens.

I need to keep earning, but my ability to get a new job is limited by my severe fatigue and mobility problems. I’m trying to work out whether there is something I could do on a freelance basis so that I could have some control over when I would work. I’ve massively deskilled over the last five years so I’m not anticipating freelancing in the area I currently work in, in any case it’s too demanding and stressful.

As I’ll hopefully have a lump sum of money, I’d like to use it to get some training in a new area. As you MSers are living with the same kinds of limitations as me, I wanted to ask – do any of you freelance? What kinds of things do you do that are manageable with MS?

Many thanks,
Rachel

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

grandma
1 month ago

Don’t work any more but there are one or two on this site who have made major changes because of ms and losing jobs erc. One was celebrating only last week cos she’s just finished her training as a travel agent, and she is going to work from home. There is always something you can do and there is loads of help. Good luck😍

dominics
1 month ago

It is very hard to answer without knowing more about what your area of expertise is.

I have done a blend of work over the years. There are potential flexibility benefits to freelancing to be set against the potential benefits of working for a large firm. Pension is an issue, healthcare, all of these things are suddenly yours to deal with if self-employed.

Daily rates are often set too low and fail to take into account costs that are hidden when with an employer.

Are there established agencies that work in your area? IT is a well served area for contractors. Dry stone walling – perhaps not so much!

On reflection, I simply cannot do anything physical, anything that involves regular travel (airports and hotels suck these days). I need to do a role that involves thinking and writing, that is my compromise.

Many websites that detail what things you need to account for when self-employed. Tax, professional liability insurance, car insurance needs to include business cover if you ever use car for going to clients, Limited company and an accountant or sole trader and DIY accounts, etc.

A big thing is contacts. Who knows you and what you can add that is worth paying for? Ideally you’d leave your job and start with someone else. Very hard work to go prospecting for new business in a new field when you have limited energy capacity.

These are all generic remarks. The extent of your limitations from MS, your expertise and professional qualifications, your network (If you are not on LinkedIn you really ought to be), the opinions of your treatment team, the income requirements and so on.

I hope this helps.

watsoncraig
1 month ago

If by freelance you mean contracting yes I do.
Down skilled myself and am doing the job i was doing 12 years ago.
Ltd company, lots of insurances, accountant etc. Thankfully the engineering day rates have not dropped too much.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.