naim 20/12/14
Last reply 3 years ago
Does anyone do any running

I just started trying to do some road running – does anyone do any?
I am also going to a biokinetist for leg exercises to ensure i stretch properly.
Also not sure what to eat before running , i know fluids are important but i dont want to have too much because id probably need the bathroom.
please let me know if you do any form of running.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

lucinda
3 years ago

Hi @ naim,

Running and exercise is great, but don’t push yourself

Stretching and using all your muscles is really important for the body

I used to run, well I love exercise but I’ve cut back now, purely for the fact I push myself to hard and I’m starting to realise I need a balance.

Eat one hour before you exercise, high protein, complex carbs. It’s also really important to give yourself the right nutrition within 20 mins after you exercise.

My little saying “There is know point exercising if you arnt fueling your body correctly”

@ Lucinda 🙂

caterpillar
3 years ago

I do 30 mins jog/run daily – but I do it on the treadmill. I can stop when I need to and set the temperature around me to cool-ish. I believe running helps ( could be the endorphin rush 🙂 they call “runner’s high”), but I do feel better after a run and a shower :-).

naim
3 years ago

@lucinda thanks for that im actually seeing a nutritionist on tuesday with regard to my eating to ensure im fueling correctly . normally before i exercise or run its a bit harder for me to eat or drink cause im constantly worried about if i need a bathroom while road running. but i know its important to hydrate.
kind of a catch 22 when you run on the road.
I totally agree balance is needed. my aim is to try and make everything in my life harmonious lol and keep it in balance lol
i know refueling is very important after you run or gym but with me it goes overboard lol! i eat more than im supposed to lol! hence the nutritionist meeting.

naim
3 years ago

@caterpillar totally agree i feel awesome if i work out or run . feels awesome all the dopamine and endorphins lol

stumbler
3 years ago

Take care as if your body overheats, it can cause MS symptoms to play up. So, just be aware.

naim
3 years ago

@stumbler the hydration is very important – gona get an ice pack that fits into a kooling jacket i think – will check that out maybe. but yeah hydration is very important.

graham100
3 years ago

Oh you lucky Bar——s. wish I could walk to the end of my drive,, only joking. Good luck to you all. (Running)Ha, merry Xmas. All.

caterpillar
3 years ago

@graham100 The MonSter will get us in the end, I don’t think we can run fast enough to get away from it. But I’ll keep running as long as I can. Merry Xmas, remember to do some salsa while sitting in the sofa after a few glasses of mulled wine :-). All the best 🙂

naim
3 years ago

lolol! you guys r funnnnay 🙂

katfight
3 years ago

I used to run 4 miles every morning, I’d eat a banana half hour before I set off then a bowl of weetabix, blueberries and yogurt after … now I cannot run at all my legs/hip won’t let me 🙁 good luk tho I hope u find the right pace / heat / food etc for u 🙂

caterpillar
3 years ago

@catfight So sorry to hear that you had to give up running :-(. I dread the day when my treadmill will be nothing more than a clothes hanger, have to remind myself that worrying in advance is totally pointless.
I hope you can find some activity you can still enjoy 🙂

slhl
3 years ago

Hi, I am new to this site but had to join when I saw this post!!! I was an avid runner for years running 5ks, 10ks, half marathons and even 2 marathons in 2013 (I had MS but just didn’t realise at the time!). This year though I had a very bad relapse and can no longer run, I was training at the time for the 800m ready for a return to the track as a vet 🙁 amazingly though, despite problems walking etc I still run!! I have switched to the 100m and just awaiting a classification from England Athletics so I can compete next year!! My advice is to take some water, don’t worry about walking or stopping to stretch if you need to and enjoy! I really miss that freedom of running along in the zone or the last stretch of a race powering to the end. Though I always struggled to walk after!! Good luck with your running x x x

naim
3 years ago

@slhl wow thank you for that motivation – its exactly what we needed 🙂
and welcome to shift ms 🙂 as you can see your input is so valued and needed by us 🙂 Im also a newbie but the information and support in 1 week i got from shift ms has been so much more valuable to me than i received in a whole year and a half of being diagnosed. – address everyday struggles – ms related or not – which we all can freely speak about.
Weldone on continuing with your running and goodluck for the 100m hope you get your classification from England Athletics.
once again thank you for your running expertise and knowledge 🙂
#enjoy #takeiteasy #euphoric #optimistic

pandora
3 years ago

I run about 6k three times a week out in the fields and vineyards of Geneva, Switzerland. I’m fortunate enough to have only ever had one relapse which was followed very quickly by my diagnosis. I have no symptoms so I continue running as before my diagnosis of nearly 2 years. I am convinced that exercise and a healthy lifestyle helps, but then I was fit and healthy before my first relapse…..! Happy running all!

naim
3 years ago

@lucky thats awesome totally agree with the holistic healthy lifestyle approach as well – im not 100 percent good but getting there ok i lie not even 80 percent lol – do you take anything for your energy levels ? but im sure those vineyards in Geneva must give you all the energy you need 🙂

pandora
3 years ago

I don’t take anything for my energy levels – like I said, I don’t have any symptoms. It’s confusing – sometimes I wish I was back in England to be able to ask all the questions I have in my own language. You’re from SA – surely that’s enough to encourage the running – an amazing place to live. You’re probably not deterred by the ice and snow!

naim
3 years ago

Yes most amazing weather i think we have lol! but in Johannesburg where i live our winters are icey cold but beside that we have awesome weather in spring summer and autumn.
we do park runs here i think it was formed in the UK. so i go to this nature reserve every saturday morning and do a 5km run. and then im doing a few other racers just for fun – the training keeps me motivated and active.
and between that do some cross fit to get some strength training in and regular gym running on treadmill.
also try to go to biokinetist to ensure im stretching and improving mhy balance.
I had excessive fatigue – im taking provigil modafinal for it and lots of vitamins trying to get energy from where ever i can lol positive energy helps also lol!!
just making use of whatever resources i have at my disposal to make life more energised and comfortable ….just enough lol!

cwpeace4
3 years ago

Love this site and the wonderful words of encouragement and support.
I myself run as much as I can. Some days are great, some days are rough. I’m definitely slower and try to listen to my body. Dizziness and hip / leg fatigue is my biggest problem.
I have to remind myself to drink more water. I only eat before if it’s a long run (longer than an hour). In the summer I wear a hydration pack with ice cold water against my back, which helps and I bring an energy bar to nibble on if need be. I love running the mountain trails with my dog, it helps keep me in the moment. For me it becomes less about time and pace, and more about going my pace and enjoying the run. I can go at my own pace which sometimes includes resting and walking. Just listen to what your body is trying to tell you.

naim
3 years ago

@sunshine – thank you so very much for that – wanted to ask when you say hydration pack in summer on your back which has ice cold water is it just to keep you cool while you running?
Iv only just started runnning 5km but Im going to do longer runs so im definitley going to want to be as comfortable as possible when i do in summer. do you drink anything beside nibble on the energy bar while you run ?
thank you once again for all your input

cwpeace4
3 years ago

@naim I use the hydration pack for a couple reasons. One is it helps keep me cool, strengthens my back and I loath carrying water bottles as I like my hands free. I also keep a small bag of items inside for emergency (I have a tendency to turf it on the trails, so bandages come in handy 🙂
I fill my pack with ice water and if I need to, it has small pockets on the side which I can easily get to to drink Gatorade or any sports drink. I don’t really nibble on much more than energy bars, but before long runs I will eat some toast w/ almond or peanut butter or some oats with brownsugar and sometimes a half banana. I don’t eat anything before 2-5 miles runs. When I do eat, I try to keep the foods mild pre-run since there is not much worse than being in the middle of nowhere with a stomache, with the exception of accidently leaking a large quantity of pepper spray on my hands with nothing around to clean it off while on a desolate trail… but that is another embarrassing story! Happy Running!!

naim
3 years ago

@sunshine thank you so much for your reply- does the hydration pack not slow you down or make you feel more tired carrying up especially when you running uphills? do you do any longer runs and take drink refreshments from the drinks table while you run? im planning on doing a 15 km run just to get experience of running at that sort of distance – i normally do 5km runs every saturday morning with the Park run facility in my area.
Do you use sports tape to help with sore legs – normally my left leg the calf is sore after i run takes a day or 2 to to relax again after i run.
im thinking of getting the spider sports tape it aides recovery.

I have a very sensitive system and as much as we need food and drink i sometimes avoid it before a run or before i exercise at gym because it interupts my exercise regiment lol. But i generally get up earlier if its a morning run and ensure i have sufficient time well before the run to snack a bit – i like the oats and brown sugar idea il probably put some coffee in it as well for an extra push lol!
Have you had any issues with your MS sympthoms while you run ?

thank you once again for your assistance with this 🙂

cwpeace4
3 years ago

@naim If I’m doing a race, I usually leave my pack at home and just wear a little belt for my phone and a small energy gel and drink water/ Gatorade from the tables. I tend not to do many races nowadays however. I’m a pretty slow runner and prefer to run by myself.
When I’m on the trails, even hills, the pack doesn’t weigh me down as much. It took some getting used to initially and I was kind of sore along my back muscles, but now I’m used to it. I also vary my pace and slow way down if I get tired.
I don’t use any sports tape for leg soreness, but do wear compression type socks that seem to help if my legs feel wobbly. I agree, the recovery can be take a while. For me it’s my hips and leg weakness after a longer run. It’s funny because when I’m doing the run, I feel pretty good (most the time 🙂 but sometimes afterwards, it can take a couple of days for me to not hobble around like a zombie and climbing stairs is so hard. But I refuse to stop unless I absolutely cannot go another step.
My cardiac doctor said I have “secondary POTS (Posteral Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) – whatever the heck that is right? He isn’t sure if it’s related to my MS symptoms or something else, but he advised me to get as much exercise as I possibly can (even when it’s terribly difficult physically and mentallY he said) and that it will help ease some of the symptoms I do have. I’m not on any meds at this point. I just use alot of supplements and vitamin d and being as active as I can. I think it’s helped for the most part, unless I really push it, then I’m toast. I am known for being quite stubborn. lol I also run with my yellow labrador each time, which makes for good motivation when I don’t necessarily want to go out the door. He and I ran a 10k distance on Sunday in the snow near the Rocky Mountains (I’m in the states), it was wonderful. I love the good runs, they help remind me why I love it.

naim
3 years ago

Hey @sunshine thank you for your reply really appreciate these tips.
Im definitley going to get the energy gel and compression socks.
Love your energy and way of life – running in snow sounds like such an awesome way cause you have a natural aircon to cool you down while you run lol! im guessing its not deep or thick snow
where are you in the states? I was in new york in 2013 was during spring period during easter but was also some snow and was freeeeezing!
your yellow Lab looks so awesome – is that him in your pic? whats his name?
Posteral Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome sounds a bit confusing :/ but was reading up on the symptoms seems similar to MS somewhat. so you not taking any injections at all for your MS?

im running a 15 km on sunday its for fun – i just want the experience of running longer distance thankfully theres no cut off cause its a fun run sort of thing first race for the year.
but im definitley going to enjoy and pace myself.
thank you so very much for imparting your experience to me #reallyHelpful #optimistic
#positivity #inspirationalspirit #2015HereWeCome:)

cwpeace4
3 years ago

@naim Happy New Years to you as well!

As for injections, I have to wait for now according to my neuro. I also need a new MRI done, it’s been a while. My symptoms are pretty mild most of the time, though the exhaustion bit is the worst. I hate that part. I keep putting off the doctors appointment. Partially out of stubborness but also it costs so much money.

That’s my yellow lab. His name is Jax. He’s a little more filled out now since that photos was a couple of years ago and he’s 5 years now. He’s the best running partner. Though he struggled this morning limping, I think he may have somehow hurt his back paw or have a small cut. It also could be because it was -13 celsius / 3 degrees fahrenheit this morning. Too cold and so much ice. I have protective barrier cream for his paws that I bought which is intended for sled dogs and it usually helps, but he might need to wear outdoor booties. Though he hates them, which I don’t blame him. However, it does make him walk really funny at first. I definitely love running in the cold as opposed to the hot weather. The summer weather here is the worst. I live in the northern part of Utah along the Rocky Mountain areas, so we get a good amount of snow and cold, but we are also a desert state and our summers are way too hot. Very short spring / fall which are my favorite seasons. We’re hoping to move back to Seattle in 2015… keeping fingers crossed
lol!

Have a great 15K run, that’s awesome! Happy New Years! Cheers!

naim
3 years ago

Thank you – and a prosperous 2015 to you as well @sunshine !!!

the only thing i know about Utah is david archuleta lol!

and seattle? yeap you guessed it “sleepless in seattle” lol!!

-13 degree celsius wowzerz yikes poor doggy. hope his paw feels better – love dogs more than cats lol they always wag there tails when they see you no matter what .

The MRIS are costly but i think being as positive and as healthy and active as you are im sure your MRIs will work in your favour 🙂

i also have alota fatigue issues- i must say provigil modafinal has assisted me with that – though also very costly. but if you can do without it the better.
i just find it has helped with my cognitive skills as well not just the fatigue.
im a bit nervous about the 15km but going to just take it easy and pace myself.

btw i love labs and golden retrievers they so healthy active goodlooking dogs. though i also have a soft spot for bull dogs lol!!

#keepWarm!!! #hotchoc 🙂

webbexpress
3 years ago

I’ve always done a lot of sport/running and will try to be best hydrated as I can so is important to note that the body can take a while to hydrate so purely drinking water just before you go will likely not adequate hydrate (dependant on prior levels) but also mean you’ll prob just need the toilet.

Also, this is first yr that MS fatigue has significantly affected me so still learning to deal with it but I’d say you need to experiment with exercise to see how it affects you. My main issue is that if I do a lot of exercise (3hr training in the sun being the toughest I had) then I have to force myself to go to bed early (e.g. not watch that 10pm episode) otherwise I’m really drained the next day!

naim
3 years ago

@webbexpress ah that makes sense about the water hydration in advance I tend to time my water as well cause of the need for a bathroom lol but i make sure i get adequate intake .
with regards to the running and the fatigue i think for me iv noticed that if my breathing can stay constant then i can run at a decent pace and finish my running in calm. always helps though if its not a very hot day.

im also trying to manage fatigue, cause i think thats the main hinderance for me as i try to pursue my goals in life – but at a more realistic pace ofcourse.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.