sianlaura19705 06/05/15
Last reply 3 years ago
DMT if not sure it's RRMS

Hi I am relatively new to shift ms and would appreciate your help.
I was diagnosed with rrms in September last year. I saw an MS nurse shortly after and told her about a new symptom i felt as though my foot was dragging on the floor and unable to raise it after walking for longer than 20 mins at the end of the day, she sent me to the relapse clinic and the doctor told me i was not having a relapse that my records show I felt a weakness in my right leg so this was an old symptom.
The MRI of the spine also picked up some nodules on my thyroid (every cloud.) Further investigation firstly diagnosed probable cancer and even further tests now suggest an abnormality and the thyroid should be either removed or assessed in 6 months.i am due to see a consultant to discuss these options next week, I have been having physiothrapy since march and my walking has gone downhill witnessed by my physio I had a a neurologist appointment at end of march and she told me i was having a relapse and that I was having a relapse when I attended the relapse clinic, the doctor got it wrong as this was a new symptom. I had a course ofcsteroids which did not change anything the symptoms i have are foot drop i am using a foot brace and increased balance problems when walking for longer than 10 minutes. I am due to start DMT but would like to feel better before this and am not entirely sure I would like to proceed I am also not certain that I have rrms and feel it may be another kind and am due to have a MRI next week and wanted to know will this confirm this. Sorry to ramble on for so long.S

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

brokendancer
3 years ago

Hey, ramble away!

I suspect you should leave a lot of this with the doctors – despite my worsening walk, I’ve just found out a few weeks ago that I do have RRMS after all and I was diagnosed with likely PPMS 2 years ago

I believe with each relapse there is some scarring – there certainly was on my MRI

Sonia x

sianlaura19705
3 years ago

Thanks Sonia are you taking DMT if so how have you found them?
Sian x

brokendancer
3 years ago

Well, no DMDs as PPMS BUT I somehow got referred to another neuro, he agreed action was needed and sent me for MRI….. and somehow, by the skin of my teeth, I ended up on a trial – my MRI showed a resolved and two active ones.

I did check with my neuro tho, he agreed to give me Tecfidera if there was any problem with the trial 🙂

Sonia x

stumbler
3 years ago

Don’t worry about the rambling, @sianlaura19705 , it can all be a bit overwhelming.

Sometimes we want our medical experts to be magicians, which they aren’t and with something as varied as MS, it sometimes feel as if they make it up as they go along.

Anyway, the steroids are prescribed to help you recover from a relapse. This help is gradual over the course of 6 – 8 weeks, so bear with them.

DMDs are prescribed as insurance for the future. They will be helping to reduce the number of any relapses and also their severity.

We have to trust our Doctors that they are acting in our best interests. 😉

sianlaura19705
3 years ago

Thanks Stumbler it has been 6 weeks since I started the 5 day course of steroids I feel like I may be left with this.

stumbler
3 years ago

@sianlaura19705 , this is MS. Never assume anything. Things do stop working if we stop using them. So, work with your Physio and keep doing the exercises and keep yourself working. 😉

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.