Last reply 2 months ago
direction

im 25, i work retail. my wife and i have a very small, very crappy apartment. i wanna change direction, im looking into different careers. im having trouble with which ones. i feel like no matter what i want to do, m.s. holds me back somehow. or at least the idea of HOW it could holds me back. im being treated, but i dont know how to have a life with m.s. any thoughts or ideas?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@caleb , you have to chase your dreams. Presently, you see MS as the obstacle, but there could be many obstacles that make you postpone your choice.

There may never be a right time, so you need to grasp the mettle and go for it. It’s better to have tried and failed, than never having tried at all…………

edmontonalberta
2 months ago

@caleb

I read your post from two months ago; MS is not your challenge.

Retail will not give you a future; lack of motivation will not give you a secure future. You need to get off your butt & create your future.

Your small crappy apartment is not the problem; all anyone needs is a roof over their head & food in their stomach. Analyze your options; find one that gives you a solid financial future without going into debt – then go for it…

Good luck!

mamawals
2 months ago

Does your community have career counselors? They might be able to give you advice on careers that require minimal additional education requirements and are in high demand. You could also go talk to your local community college to see what they suggest. Just off the top of my head I know healthcare is always in demand, and some of those programs don’t take very long and may be very affordable at a community college. It’s a place to start.

chezy17
2 months ago

MS will only hold you back if you let it, you’re never too old to start something new. I’m just about to do an access course, and then hopefully a degree and I’m 36! My only worries are trying to fit it around my kids and work, my MS hasn’t even come into it!
If you always put stuff off or at least don’t have a go, you will never know!

potter
2 months ago

I have a sister who just retired from the healthcare industry. She was a poor student in school so she started out as a file clerk and worked her way up to health insurance. She finally became a office organizer and worked for a group of doctors. When they retired she found another group of doctors to work for. When she retired they called her and asked if she could come back and work part time. The office was such a mess since she left. Having MS you need to think of a career that has lots of desk time that involves some computer skills. Potter

potter
2 months ago

Our first house we owned would be considered a tiny house, we didn’t move until we had our son. Tiny houses are all the rage in the US, I have a new tiny house complex of 100 houses being built near me. They had 500 people apply for the houses. You are in style and don’t know it. Have a boot sale and you will feel better about your apartment. Potter

stumbler
2 months ago

@chezy17 , you go girl, the world is your oyster. πŸ˜‰

grandma
2 months ago

Look to the future, try a call centre job, you will be sitting down if push came to shove in the future you will be ahead of the game. Dont know what employment law us like is like in the .USA but here employers if above a certain number of people, have to make ‘reasonable changes’ I.e. Doorways, office layout, resting access etc. Your apartment is down to you, access is something to consider, lift if it’s upstairs obvious really, are you fairly fit and healthy? Do you move around a lot, is it worth taking a long hard look at the situation, spend 6 months looking for the right apartment then you wouldn’t have to change in the future, less stress, one thing that’s not good for the ms😍

chezy17
2 months ago

Thanks @stumbler You know me, not going to let a little thing like MS get in the way πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.