Last reply 4 months ago
Diet miracles?

Anybody tried any diets that have alleviated or even stopped MS? There’s Wahls Protocol, Recovering from MS & the Swank diets…
I’m somewhat sceptical of the reported results. Obviously following a healthy diet is a good thing for self care, whether it’s for weight management, cholesterol control or otherwise but the claims that these diets can retard MS progression and even reverse symptoms may be exaggerated.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

cammo
4 months ago

@samuelmanual I was following the OMS diet for just over 12 months. While following the diet my MS was classed as “stable”. I could have been the diet, it could have been the Gilenya, it could have been the fasting, it could have been all of it. Who cares. I haven’t had a relapse since diagnosis.
I have recently switched to the Wahls Protocol. Still relapse free. Going for another MRI in a month so will see if there are any new lesions.
I also think the benefits for MS are exaggerated. Benefits for general help… sure, but reversing a disease of the immune system… skeptical.
Still I follow them religiously because what else have we got?

charmc4
4 months ago

I couldn’t agree more.. I’m newly diagnosed may 2017 RRMS but I wanted to try something different after meeting a therapist whom has PMS.. she was in a wheelchair after following a strict diet juicing etc and using alternative therapy she is in great health she swears by yoga Pilates and dances too!! I took an intolerance test and to my surprise had a few which lead to inflammation etc I removed gluten, diary amongst others and I green juice especially everyday.. she also offers alternative therapy which she trained after realising its benefits and is now dedicated to helping other MS suffers I believe if you try these alternatives what harm can they do even if it’s along side meds.. I have since been healthy (maybe just the loss of weight inflammation and a leaky gut from gluten etc) but gone on to have a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby and so far so good I have little things here and there but I push more to stay healthy and keep fit after feeling how much this (MS)can debilatate me .. I’m determined to try anything to stay the best I can for my girls and know I tried.. I also think these diets .. I like to say lifestyle changes 😉 help all of the family in many different ways for some this isn’t possible but for me and a lot of Carley’s clients I’ve met this has worked.. I see Carley once a week (as after pregnancy there’s a higher risk of relapse ) for reflexology and other therapies when suited to what’s happening with my body but I also gain amazing knowledge and feel I’ve also had a counselling session haha!! (Just because her story is amazing and makes me want to tell a similar one) I just believe diet and mindfulness are the key to help aid these hinderences (ms) good luck with your diet it sounds like it’s working for you and I hope others at least consider looking into alternative ways to help get them through 🙂

rachaellouise
4 months ago

@samuelmanual

I am trialling things at the moment . I follow Whals and incorporate other people’s work too.
There’s no dispute that these people who say they are recovered seem to be doing very well .they look well, full of energy and vitality from what I have seen . I’m sure they have their challenges like all of us do with or without MS .

I’d say it’s a overall life change .. not just one thing ..

Rachael x

cameron
4 months ago

As I understand it, it’s the brain’s ‘neural reserve’ which is key to being the best we can be. Everyone’s MS is different and seems to progress at different rates… but the bigger the brain reserve, the better the body tolerates the damage. If the brain reserve is plentiful, new pathways can be formed which help to compensate for the interrupted signals – hence the value of neuro physio, which provides remedial exercises to kickstart this process. Neural reserve declines with age and also if the system is coping with other conditions- high blood pressure, diabetes etc. So basically, the healthier the body, the better it will cope with MS. Obviously, a good diet is at the heart of this. I’m not convinced that any one approach is better than another. My first neuro told me that based on the number of patients he sees who have been on exclusion diets, he would have expected there to be far more improvements in their MS if a food group had been a trigger. I think it’s likelier that MS may sensitise our systems, perhaps making us intolerant to certain types of food and that when we give these up, we feel better. But in the end, the crucial thing is to keep that neural reserve – however it’s achieved.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.