kateybash 20/04/17
Last reply 10 months ago
Diagnosis without positive LP

Hi folks, just wanted to ask if a person can still be referred to an ms nurse if they have had lesions on the brain that are not diagnostic of MS with a negative lumbar puncture? I am due to go for my LP next week and symptoms of dizziness, burning pins and needles remain. I was told if it was positive I would be referred to the ms team , however I am wondering that if it’s negativite will I just be left without treatment. Any suggestions as to how things work.
Thanks
Kate

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

doubleo7hud
10 months ago

Having just been diagnosed yesterday without even having a successful LP it is possible to get diagnosed without it but it all depends on circumstances and symptoms etc and how many lesions and where they are

doubleo7hud
10 months ago

Ohhhh I got referred to ms nurse before Christmas but only just got official diagnosis to answer thee question too

lilbird
10 months ago

Hi @kateybash, I was also diagnosed without the need for LP. I had a pretty big relapse & alongside some activity in my brain MRI there was a large lesion in my spinal column which accounted for most of the scary goings on. I think it helped that I’d had a couple of minor issues on record before that didn’t make much sense at the time but suddenly all kind of fell into place with the MS diagnosis. I was refers straight to the MS team. I don’t know if your history would help you out in the same kind of way. Have you looked into other ms symptoms & identified anything from your past that could be added to your list to help your case? Hope you can get something positive either way hopefully if they don’t think it is ms there are other things to look into? 🙂

stumbler
10 months ago

@kateybash , we can presume that your Neuro is looking for confirmation that a diagnosis of MS is warranted. But, there are strict criteria, the McDonald Criteria, that have to be satisfied.

If these criteria are not satisfied, you might end up with a diagnosis of Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS). This may well be the precursor to a future diagnosis of MS.

But, don’t worry too much about the post-diagnosis arrangements. There will all be explained and you’ll be given the opportunity to ask questions and seek clarifications.

doubleo7hud
10 months ago

@lilbird mother fucking snap I got one big feck off lesion in me spine too I was thinking of naming her Bertha ha e you thought of any names yet?

lilbird
10 months ago

Ha ha, d’ya know @doubleo7hud I hadn’t thought about naming it which is weird because I give everything daft names! I’ll have to mull it over & see what I can come up with….. 😉

californiadreamin
10 months ago

LP is only about 90% accurate (from my understanding) which is why there is still not a great conclusive test. However most dr’s dont want to prescribe lightly so they would surely want some other things that could confirm it.

kateybash
10 months ago

doubleo7hud… best comment I have heard in all of this madness. You made me laugh. Happy Friday !!

doubleo7hud
10 months ago

Happy to help shit eating grins all round 👍

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.