Last reply 1 year ago
Depression? Or just tired?

There’s a fine line between depression and cognitive fatigue. I have suffered from fatigue for a while; recently this changed from purely physical fatigue to also cognitive fatigue. I have difficulty following a conversation at times to the point where I sometimes give up in the conversation for fear of embarrassing myself by saying “what do you mean?” repeatedly. Furthermore I don’t go out as much as what I used to due to the MS. All of this has impacted on my social life and affected my confidence. The net result is that I don’t have as much to talk about.

If asked “what you been up to?” by a friend and I said that I cycled a personal best distance at the gym- They’ll just say “well done” in a condescending manner in 2 seconds, and I’ll be scratching my head trying to think what else I’ve been up to lol.
I am normally too exhausted to do many activities. I go to the gym (which is a big part of my routine) and then I’m ready for a nap lol. I feel lazy as most of the time I am exhausted and can’t be bothered to even have a conversation.

My neuro has told me that depression is very common in MS. He has explained that there are many effective medications to treat depression nowadays. I have been taking meds for my fatigue (i take modafinil which greatly helps). I feel that I may be depressed and will benefit from being treated for it. Has anyone had experience using these depression medications? In particular my neuro spoke about prozac. My major worry is becoming over-reliant on the depression meds to function in the future.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

niccis
1 year ago

Hi- you’re not alone. I suffered from depression before I was diagnosed with MS (although now when I look back the two were probably connected all along) and now often find myself wondering whether I’m fatigued or depressed. I think I even posted something about it on here once before if you can find it. I’m due to see my nurse in a couple of weeks and will be asking about going back on an anti depressant because it’s been going on too long. I took them before and they definitely did help. Like you, I was very reluctant to be medicated but I think a lot of that is because of the stigma surrounding mental health. In fact, the pills are tiny and apart from the first few days where I felt far more miserable rather than less, they quickly started working and within 6 months I felt better enough to stop taking them (on advice from GP). That was Citalopram in case you’re interested. Good luck with it!

lemtrada-uk
1 year ago

It’s difficult to know whether it is even depression or the result of fatigue. I have little energy and can’t motivate myself to do tasks.

Without prying too much, why will you be asking to go back on antidepressants? I mean are there any tell tale signs that it is depression?

Also how practical is it to take antidepressants without anyone knowing? I just wouldn’t want people to know because hopefully when I’m fully healthy these people will still be gossiping about it,

lemtrada-uk
1 year ago

@niccis I do I find your post about the topic? Do you know what the title of the post is or the date of the post? Thanks

Anonymous
1 year ago

Hi there,
Does anyone have solution for feeling tired again and again?

niccis
1 year ago

@kennethjohnson There are medications you can take for fatigue. I used amantadine which worked well with no real side effects

Anonymous
1 year ago

@niccis Thanks for the advice. I will try it out for sure.

niccis
1 year ago

@lemtrada-uk I think because I’ve been there before I know that this is more than just fatigue. I’m ruminating, going over and over things in my head, and spending hours just sitting and wasting time then feeling worse because I haven’t accomplished anything. I’m also struggling to find enjoyment in things- my kids, my hobbies etc- and I just don’t want to leave it until things seem very bleak without taking some action. As for whether anyone will know if you’re taking anti-depressants, why would anyone have to know? I told my husband but other than that nobody else knew at the time. I’ve discovered since though that more people take them than you’d think. Many of my friends of a similar age are or have taken them in the past. In terms of your employer, I don’t think there’s anything to say you have to disclose it. I went for a different job at the time I was taking them and had to fill out a medical form. I couldn’t lie but after a quick phone call from the company who were outsourced to do the medical who just wanted to know what I was taking, it wasn’t an issue and was never mentioned again. Hope that helps. Feel free to add me if you want to chat some more.x

matic91
1 year ago

lol it was as i would be reading my life story. Depression is such a great word that some of us use all the time for no reason. I mean someone is in a bad mood and he already thinks he suffers from depression and consequently he or she starts taking certain medications. I know life is hard, and yes i also went through it, i broke up all my contacts because i was scared that i couldnt keep up with their pace of life or that i would be a burden for them. Nevertheless i found certain friends who always make me happy and feels great regardless my spasms and other problems related to MS. It is great that you go to the gym, but please dont overexert because with that you simply improve your MS problems, do as much as you can and regularly make pauses to relax. Oh and smile all the time 🙂 and in this case you dont have to make pauses 😀 😀 😀
Good and happy luck 🙂

Anonymous
1 year ago

@lemtrada-uk I have finally made it to see a counsellor after 7 months on the waiting list, but it is proving helpful and I’m so glad I made the initial contact.

When I started, I thought it was the physical aspects of MS that were the biggest issue, but actually it’s the resulting isolation and impact on my relationships. She is supporting me to work on this specifically. If nothing else, I feel like me again when I’m there. I can sustain an in depth challenging conversation for nearly an hour, which is a surprise.

It’s worth asking your GP about the talking therapies available in your area. I had thought it would just be CBT, which doesn’t work for me, but there seem to be various different approaches available on the NHS now.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.