niccis 06/12/17
Last reply 7 months ago
Depression or fatigue?

Is there a way to tell the difference between the two? I’ve suffered with depression before and this does feel different – I don’t feel unhappy or desperate, but totally exhausted and flat, with no motivation to do anything at all. I was determined to go back to work today after 3 days off but when I woke up I just couldn’t do it and ended up going back to sleep and waking up 5 hours later. I feel cross with myself, like I’ve given in, but I know I don’t have the energy to do my job today. I picked up a new amantadine prescription on Tuesday- that really helped with fatigue when I took it earlier in the year- but there’s still a nagging doubt that I could solve this with mind over matter and that I’m just being defeatist. Any advice on how to differentiate between the two?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

pikilily
7 months ago

I am new to this MS ‘malarkey’. But I understand what you mean.
But, as an ordinary Nurse, I would say to you do what your body is telling you to do. It says sleep- you sleep, it says buzz about, do that. The feelings of ‘guilt’ perhaps come from your intellectual frustration at not doing what you *think* you should be doing.
May I suggest, that you take solace from the fact that you don’t *feel* desperate or unhappy, and use that as your distinction and reassurance today. In my mind, feelings are more truthful than thoughts. If that makes sense?
Hope this helps a little bit .
Cheers, Emma T

niccis
7 months ago

@pikilily Wise words, thank you. Funnily enough, I did a search on here under the same subject and found a post from me from over a year ago asking exactly the same question which I forgot I’d posted. On reflection, that time was definitely fatigue rather than depression and I gave myself a break from work (8 weeks on that occasion) and came back far stronger. I can’t take 8 weeks this time, Id be lucky to keep my job, but i will try to stop feeling guilty about the few days i have taken and listen to what my body is telling me. Thanks.x

vixen
7 months ago

Hey there, and don’t forget that you are approaching end of the school term, the Autumn one being the longest and descending into winter and darkness. Staff at my school are all struggling this week and they don’t have what we have either! X

niccis
7 months ago

@vixen True! And I had the flu during Oct half term so I haven’t had a rest since August. I’ll just keep ticking off the days 😊

vixen
7 months ago

And get a flu jab! X

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.