Last reply 1 year ago
Darn Double Vision

Hi all,

I’m med free at the moment but recently I’ve been experiencing double vision.
A week or so back i fell off my bike riding on ice, nearly cracked pelvis but got away with just heavy muscular bruising, the Doc at the hospital did say that this incident may cause MS related symptoms to flare up. A week later I’ve developed fatigued induced double vision.
Main question, is there anything that can be prescribed to help with the double vision? or is it just a case of sitting it out?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@mscyclist , the stress/shock of the accident may well have provoked some relapse activity. Contact your MS Nurse as visual impairments are usually a good reason to take a short course of high dose steroids to “nip this in the bud” and try to being this episode to a quick conclusion.

mscyclist
1 year ago

Thanks Stumbler, i’m trying to contact my MS nurse as we speak but so far i cannot get an answer. Do you think these steroids could be issued by my local GP?

stumbler
1 year ago

@mscyclist , I wouldn’t even bothering to ask the question to your GP. High Dosage Steroids for an MS relapse are prescribed at a dosage so high that it would shock most GPs.

Persevere with your MS Nurse, as they’ll need to consider the use of Steroids and then arrange for them.

mscyclist
1 year ago

thanks again, my helpful MS nurse called back, my neuro is back in tomorrow and she will review with him and hopefully send a prescription to my doctor for the correct dosage of steroids. You were right about the doctor as the nurse said that the doctor probably wouldn’t issue the required dosage.

That is what is so great about this site, everyone is willing to help. Whenever i meet anyone lucky enough to have been diagnosed i always suggest they join this gang!

potter
1 year ago

Have you tried wearing a eye patch over one eye, I don’t know if this will help your problem but I have seen other MSer’s wearing one for vision problems. Potter

mmhhpp
1 year ago

Agree, steroids or a patch…. they did not treat my eye relapses, i just waited for them to go (so far i have had 3 relapses). And it took a long time, several months to finally go. Good luck!

diamondrebel
1 year ago

Hi @mscyclist. My double vision lasted three and a half weeks. I couldn’t stand wearing an eye patch, so the eye clinic covered one lens of a pair of non prescription glasses and also my sunglasses with some special tape. It was like frosting that you get on bathroom windows. I prefered it because I didn’t like having the light blocked from my eye, but because I could see proper when one eye was covered.

brittany-leigh
1 year ago

My double & blurry vision lasted for 3 months on & off for days all day.

mscyclist
1 year ago

Thanks all, hoping to get some meds today. Years ago i had optic neuritis in right eye, then left eye then back to right. Whole process lasted months and right eye never did fully recover (anyone else tried to explain to someone that whilst you have blurred vision glasses don’t help? ha ha!) I’m hoping with meds i can see the back of this! poor pun but needed to be said!

freya
1 year ago

My double vision has come and gone, then come back again with new relapse. It’s still there after 5months now, not sure if it will clear up. It gets worse when I’m tired or have had a drink. I now have glasses with prisms that correct for it perfectly – if yours lingers and causes longer term problems I’d recommend seeing an optician. I can now see the TV properly with them (and there’s only one TV , not two!!)

stumbler
1 year ago

@freya , prisms are a good fix, but need to be reviewed regularly.

If you reduce the strength of the prisms from time to time, your eyes can be trained to correct themselves. I was looked after by an Optometrist at our local eye clinic for this.

mscyclist
1 year ago

Just an update. on last day of steroids, they cleared up double vision really quickly but talk about wired!!

The guys that i cycle with were very keen to find out if i had any ‘going spare’…

If anyone else gets double vision follow stumblers advice, speak to your neuro as the doctor will issue the same steroid just not in the high dose needed.

Also along with feeling wired the whole time they do have a tendency to make you feel nauseous, they will often issue ranatadine (?) to help overcome this and it helps!

Good luck to anyone else with double vision at the moment!

stumbler
1 year ago

That’s great news, @mscyclist .

High Dosage Steroids address the inflammation that is causing the problem, allowing your body to recover quicker. Usually, recovery can be expected over the following 6 – 8 weeks, but visual problems can take longer.

Glad you’ve managed to get you legover again…………………on your bike! 😉

mscyclist
1 year ago

Ha Ha! unfortunately it’s only on a static bike at the moment, not enough movement in hip to allow for fresh air, i have to remove foot from shoe, then shoe from pedal to be able to get off the darn thing.

Cheers for the entertainment Stumbler, i seem to remember a while back when you used to post pages of incredibly ‘edgy’ jokes, the more offensive the better i seem to remember.

Hats off to the ‘last leg’ guys who have made it ok to poke fun at yourself and others, sometimes it’s the best way to deal with adversity!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.