Last reply 4 months ago
Copaxone and Pregnancy

Hello, I was diagnosed with Relapsing Remitting MS in December last year. It was a bit of a shock but explains the symptoms I have been having over the last couple of years.
I had my first meeting with an MS nurse yesterday and we talked through the various DMT options. It would be good to start a family in the near future. What are people’s thoughts of taking Copaxone in general and more specifically, whilst pregnant? My initial thoughts were to stop taking any medication whilst pregnant but the MS nurse said that some people continue to take Copaxone right through the pregnancy.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

spring1364
9 months ago

Hi Nomenz,

I am eligible for Copaxone and have ongoing symptoms but because of pregnancy plan, decided to postpone receiving any medications. Your question would be mine as well.

My MS nurse told me there is not enough studies on human who shows the adverse effects on baby:(

Any thoughts?!!

stumbler
9 months ago

Hi @nomez and welcome.

It was Copaxone’s manufacturer, who posted some research about women on Copaxone, having the same ratio of congenital birth defects as the rest of the population!

Whilst Copaxone may possibly OK for pregnancy, it is one of the first Disease Modifying Therapies (DMTs) and has been superseded, for effectiveness, by more recent Therapies.

Lemtrada and Mavenclad(Cladribine) are considered more effective and consist of a couple of treatments, which clear the body in a matter of weeks or months. So, these therapies are possibly more family planning friendly……….

californiadreamin
9 months ago

@nomez

As @stumbler said the two he listed are considered safer because there effect is to basically kill certain cells in your body and essentially reboot your immune system. The impact is then over as your body starts to repopulate those cells.

Another strong DMT is tysabri but have your JCV status checked first. It has a good risk profile if you are JCV- A study shows its even relatively safe while pregnant but of course thats never super assuring to be taking anything:
https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/2018/02/14/study-examines-tysabri-risk-miscarriage-birth-defects/

Lastly consider something like Tecfidera which leaves your body basically in 24 hours. You can take up until the point you know you are really trying and then stop. Its unknown its effect on pregnancy.

Bottom line, it depends how soon you are planning on starting a family and if you want to get a little more data on how your MS develops. Its a lot of take in right away, so if you are waiting a few years, then something like Tecfidera could be a better option then Copaxone while you see how things go.

bowlocks
9 months ago

nomez
9 months ago

Thanks everyone for your advice.

There is a lot to think about and it’s important to think about all the possible options before rushing into any big decisions. I will consider Lemtrada and have also thought about having the Tecfidera tablets too and it is good that it leaves the body in 24 hours.

nomez
9 months ago

Thanks @bowlocks for the link. I’ll check that out 🙂

nomez
9 months ago

It says in the Barts Team article that although is no indication to show that Copaxone is unsafe but “As a precautionary measure, it is preferable to avoid the use of Copaxone during pregnancy unless the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the foetus.”

vincentnancy88
9 months ago

Hi @nomez i see u are in Canterbury I’m just down the road from you in whitstable!

helpjodxx
8 months ago

I was dignosed June 2017, I was already trying for a baby and fell pregnant without meds I’m due in June and haven’t had meds yet and once baby is here providing I’m ok and the birth is ok I would like another baby close in age so I would stay off treatment and wait until Iv had another baby I’d like I said I’m ok to do that and I’m not traumatised by birth! Good luck

I’m also in Kent so not far

jgibbs15
6 months ago

My doctor said the same thing that this medication is the safer option as we are trying to become pregnant. However, I have put off starting Copaxone because I want to try and get pregnant first. I’m currently in remission and my doctor says that if I don’t get pregnant soon I will have to start treatment. Praying for a positive pregnancy test soon. Good luck on your adventure. It’s nice to know I’m not alone on this subject

jgibbs15
6 months ago

My Dr. also said after I give birth I will have to start treatment, but I want to wait and have one more baby first. However the last thing I want is a relapse after the hormone levels go down… possible effect after delivery but I want to breastfeed 🙁

angie82
4 months ago

I started copaxone last month, I was diagnosed in November and was planning to try for another baby this summer.
I have reacted well to copaxone and got into a nice little routine.
We are currently trying for a baby as planned and I plan to continue with the copaxone whilst pregnant, all being well.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.