nomez 16/02/18
Last reply 1 month ago
Copaxone and Pregnancy

Hello, I was diagnosed with Relapsing Remitting MS in December last year. It was a bit of a shock but explains the symptoms I have been having over the last couple of years.
I had my first meeting with an MS nurse yesterday and we talked through the various DMT options. It would be good to start a family in the near future. What are people’s thoughts of taking Copaxone in general and more specifically, whilst pregnant? My initial thoughts were to stop taking any medication whilst pregnant but the MS nurse said that some people continue to take Copaxone right through the pregnancy.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

1 month ago

Hi Nomenz,

I am eligible for Copaxone and have ongoing symptoms but because of pregnancy plan, decided to postpone receiving any medications. Your question would be mine as well.

My MS nurse told me there is not enough studies on human who shows the adverse effects on baby:(

Any thoughts?!!

1 month ago

Hi @nomez and welcome.

It was Copaxone’s manufacturer, who posted some research about women on Copaxone, having the same ratio of congenital birth defects as the rest of the population!

Whilst Copaxone may possibly OK for pregnancy, it is one of the first Disease Modifying Therapies (DMTs) and has been superseded, for effectiveness, by more recent Therapies.

Lemtrada and Mavenclad(Cladribine) are considered more effective and consist of a couple of treatments, which clear the body in a matter of weeks or months. So, these therapies are possibly more family planning friendly……….

1 month ago

As @stumbler said the two he listed are considered safer because there effect is to basically kill certain cells in your body and essentially reboot your immune system. The impact is then over as your body starts to repopulate those cells.

Another strong DMT is tysabri but have your JCV status checked first. It has a good risk profile if you are JCV- A study shows its even relatively safe while pregnant but of course thats never super assuring to be taking anything:

Lastly consider something like Tecfidera which leaves your body basically in 24 hours. You can take up until the point you know you are really trying and then stop. Its unknown its effect on pregnancy.

Bottom line, it depends how soon you are planning on starting a family and if you want to get a little more data on how your MS develops. Its a lot of take in right away, so if you are waiting a few years, then something like Tecfidera could be a better option then Copaxone while you see how things go.

1 month ago

The Barts Team have confirmed Copaxone is safe in pregnancy.

1 month ago

Thanks everyone for your advice.

There is a lot to think about and it’s important to think about all the possible options before rushing into any big decisions. I will consider Lemtrada and have also thought about having the Tecfidera tablets too and it is good that it leaves the body in 24 hours.

1 month ago

Thanks @bowlocks for the link. I’ll check that out 🙂

1 month ago

It says in the Barts Team article that although is no indication to show that Copaxone is unsafe but “As a precautionary measure, it is preferable to avoid the use of Copaxone during pregnancy unless the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the foetus.”

1 month ago

Hi @nomez i see u are in Canterbury I’m just down the road from you in whitstable!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.