Last reply 2 months ago
Copaxone and possible relapse

So I have been on copaxone for a month now, seen my ms nurse and explained I have had numb fingers, hand and has travelled up my arm. My optic neuritis has inflamed too, she has got me in the relapse clinic Wednesday coming. Just wanting to know what this means for me now as I know it has only been a month on this DMT but will they keep me on it or change it? Thanks x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@jadeshelley , there’s some information about managing this situation, including a bit about Relapse Clinics:-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/about-ms/ms-symptoms/managing-relapses#what-should-i-do-if-i-think-im-having-a-relapse

jadeshelley
2 months ago

Thank you Just worried what this means for my ms now that’s all

stumbler
2 months ago

@jadeshelley , hopefully, things will become clear at the Relapse Clinic………..

embroideress
2 months ago

@jadeshelley I’m not on Copaxone, but Plegridy, but if it’s at all similar, my neurologist said it would take 6 months for the treatment to begin working. I’ve only been on my DMT for two months, and I’ll get a baseline MRI at the 6-month mark, after which she’ll be able to see if it’s working. So perhaps Copaxone is the same and if you are having a relapse, it isn’t because it’s not working, but because it hasn’t yet begun working? It would be worth asking your MS nurse.

jadeshelley
2 months ago

It’s only been 4 weeks on copaxone so I’m assuming it hasn’t started working yet, and if I am in relapse it would have started before anyways. Just a bit of a downer to be honest that’s all. Never good to be in a relapse is it especially when you have taken the step for a DMT. I’m booked in in December with my neurologist for the 6 month mark so will know then I suppose. Just struggling I think with all the changes I’m going through with my DMT and now a relapse x

embroideress
2 months ago

@jadeshelley I know the feeling. I’m living in fear of another relapse before my dmt can start working, and i’ve been having left arm weakness, been dropping stuff from my left hand, and wondering if it’s a relapse. this ms experience takes a while to get used to, so many changes and worries!
😉

jadeshelley
2 months ago

@embroideress it does take a while doesnt it! I would have thought after 2 years I would have got used to it by now but nope! My app for Wednesday has been put back to Friday now so just a bit longer to wait. Still got numb fingers and hand, makes it hard to do every day activities which is driving me insane! Hopefully I can get it sorted Friday fingers crossed! X

angieh
2 months ago

Hi! I was wondering how jadeshelley was doing I remember when you posted about beginning copaxone! For some reason I’m thinking just being on it a month, it’s doubtful the copaxone has contributed either way to a relapse. I hope it’s not side effect though. I am starting copaxone tomorrow and am quite nervous. Please keep us updated on your results and I will as well. Any encouragement as I move forward with my first time on dmt is welcome!!

jadeshelley
2 months ago

Hi @angieh ! My nurse rang me today they want to see me Wednesday now instead! And I was very nervous when I was starting my copaxone, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought initially! I’ve not suffered with much side effects which is good 🙂 I have suffered with the after sting ( it’s very intense for me though) but everyone is different! Easier said than done but try to not stress too much before you start it, I did and it wasn’t helpful to do so lol. Keep me updated with how you get on. U will be fine 🙂 xx

jadeshelley
2 months ago

So back from the relapse clinic. Not gone so well. Currently in relapse and have been given steroids to help. He doesn’t think I will get the feeling back in my hand…. not great at all! X

stumbler
2 months ago

@jadeshelley , in fairness, this relapse may well have started as you were starting the Copaxone. It can be stressful as you approach the adoption of a DMT. And, we all know what stress does to us.

Hopefully, the steroids will kick the inflammation causing the relapse into touch and you can get on and start recovering.

They seem to have a crystal ball in your Relapse Clinic. I thought MS was unpredictable and there’s you, being told that a symptom isn’t recoverable!!!

Trust in your body. Exercise the hand, lightly and regularly, using a squeeze ball (or some screwed up socks) and see what happens………..

jadeshelley
2 months ago

He said that it probably started as I started my copaxone as it takes a couple months to take effect. He said that he can’t tell me if I will get the feeling back but as the damage is done he doesn’t see it being likely but to take the steroids and see what happens. He has said that if my movement doesn’t come back properly after my steroids then I need to ring them and get in to the occupational therapy to strenghthen my hand. Thanks for the stress ball idea I think I may get myself one to help the process.
It’s just a hard hitter tbh but hopefully the copaxone will work and help me out 🙂
Thank you for your advice it is much appreciated xx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.