Last reply 3 weeks ago
Cooking question – meat thermometers

I am a keen cook and Mrs S loves a Sunday roast. I hate overcooked meat. To date I have only ever used a circular dial thermometer for meat. My concern is cooking joints of beef/pork/lamb more accurately.

I have been told that the digital probes you can stick in and leave in a roast, with the monitor outside the oven, are the way forward. £20 or so on Amazon but I am interested to hear from others who may use them.

Presently I weigh and then go on Hugh FW’s guides in his book, Meat. Generally reliable but I wanted to move from approximate the precise.

Thank you.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

grandma
1 month ago

I don’t have a digital one but just a small knitting needle one that changes colour if the neat in the middle is the right termperature. Also use it for cakes, if it comes out sticky it’s not cooked?😍

mamawals
1 month ago

I use the digital type. It has a little wire that goes out of the oven to the digital part. I set it for whatever temperature I want and then it beeps when it reaches that temperature. Very convenient. I’ve used it for five or six years with no issues.

dominics
1 month ago

Thank you both.

@mamawals – is it a single probe? I never cook huge joints and wonder if that is the point of dual sensors.

@grandma – my brother, an excellent cook, tells me that the style like this (which I have but never use) is not very accurate. Which model do you use? As for cakes, I just stab a skewer in the fattest part to see if any sticks!

dvtrv
1 month ago

Apologies, seems I’ve stumbled across a cooking website. How peculiar

grandma
1 month ago

@dmtrv- on this site we try and help each other out with anything that helps mser keep going, it may be a meat thermometer or an exercise machine or a pill splinter et al. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!

grandma
1 month ago

Sorry fingers not working this morning should be @ dvtrv

dvtrv
1 month ago

@grandma

Was not aware.
That’s really good to know.

dominics
1 month ago

@dvtrv – life would be ever so dull if the *only* topic of conversation was MS 😉

Do you have any thoughts on digital thermometers?

dvtrv
1 month ago

@dominics

No I wouldn’t have a Scooby Doo I’m afraid.

mouse19
3 weeks ago

Digital thermometer is great as I found my mother in law was cooking her meat to the shoe leather can bearly chew it stage 🙄
Where as with the thermometer it’s safely cooked and tasty 😃 she is thrilled with hers and doesn’t get as stressed when cooking

dominics
3 weeks ago

@mose19 – thank you for that. I sense a tiny bit of self-interest regarding your jaw muscles 😉

Any idea of the brand or cost?

dominics
3 weeks ago

@mouse19 – even!

mouse19
3 weeks ago

Hi
You are not wrong 😂
I also value my teeth !
The one I have is a ETI Thermapen 3
At the moment they are £36 on Amazon

edgarleroy
3 weeks ago

Thermoworks.com has very good instruments. We use the Thermopop, Dot and Smoke. Amazingribs.com has good instructions.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.