Last reply 8 months ago
CONFUSED !

hi to all my friends on shift ms , at the moment i am a bit confused , can any of you help please, i have P.P.M.S. and as i am aware there is no treatment for this at present , but i have been aware off and waiting for the new drug Ocrelizumab . i know it has been approved in america and australia last , and as far as i am aware we are waiting for NICE to approve it here , but yesterday i saw on twitter that it had been approved for europe , then stuff appeared on twitter saying it was approved for here? is this true ? then got even more confused when i went to MS association web site and it said if you had PPMS for less than 15 years you should talk to your consultant about Ocrelizumab .

yours martin hankins

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
8 months ago

@hank , it has been approved for use in Europe, but we now need to wait for NICE to approve it for use on the NHS. More details here :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/ocrelizumab-ocrevus

I should imagine that it can be supplied now privately, but the cost would be exorbitantly restrictive.

hank
8 months ago

thanks stumbler, as usual wise words , but i shall not hold my breath for NICE approval just yet given the funding state of NHS atpresent

vixen
8 months ago

Hi @hank. I previously ‘jokingly’ suggested that we need to prepare to lobby, riot and protest if NICE don’t approve it here in the UK. Also, just before Christmas it was announced that some of the DMTs are to stop being prescribed. I strongly suspect that this is in preparation for the enormous expense of Ocrevus, given that it is suitable for both RRMS and PPMS. The other good news is that the major pharmaceuticals will now be going nuts to match and supass this breakthrough into PPMS land. We will all keep our fingers crossed for Ocrevus and potential brighter lives for everyone in the future 🙂

hank
8 months ago

thanks vixen, hope you are well !

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.