Last reply 2 weeks ago
College life

Is anyone else in College? I’ve deferred some of my lesser modules but honestly can’t deal with the stress. At the end of each semester I’m depressed and miserable as opposed to the holidays where I seem to go back to my normal smiley self. I’m only starting to come to terms with my MS now after two years which is definitely a good thing but I’m not sure if college is the right place for me right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@saif97 , this kind of situation has been the subject of quite a few posts in the past.

Try selecting the “Work and Study” tag that has been added automatically to the bottom of your post above, to access this content.

saif97
2 weeks ago

@stumbler thank you!

vixen
2 weeks ago

Hi @saif97, sorry you’re struggling. I’m older than you but diagnosed in 2016 and also on Tec. Can you refer yourself to the college counselling service? They have. Duty of care to support you through the course. Also, if you see student support services they should be able to help with making reasonable adjustments. At worse, you could try and defer until you fell better, but I hope you can be supported to keep going…..all the best 🙂

nutshell88
2 weeks ago

I’d say why not.
I finished highschool, uni in Saudi and college in Scotland I was diagnosed age 17
Im still fine age 30 and have a job.
You better think of the stress as part of life
Get used to it best you can try to defeat it
Dont let it ruin your future

birdboy
2 weeks ago

Hi @saif97,

Sorry to hear about your situation and feelings, but thought that letting you know about my experiences might help.

After a challenging couple of years, I just submitted my PhD thesis. Having only been diagnosed in March this year, I have likely undertaken all most all of my PhD and possibly my undergraduate with MS. I was also diagnosed with Dyslexia at the start of my PhD.

Stress is a huge issue for people doing degrees at any level, and it’s great that you recognise it and are open about it. There’s nothing wrong with being stressed, doing a degree is inherently stressful.

There have been numerous points throughout my studies that I have suffered from stress, depression and anxiety, whether these were linked to my MS we will never know. I have also, like you, genuinely considered dropping out because of it. However, having talked with a welfare team, being honest with my supervisors and having the support of family and friends, I decided that I could push on.

I can’t say what will be right for you. My only advice is to be honest with yourself and others, talk to a welfare officer/student support about how you are feeling, and realise that going to university is not the be all and end all. If you need to take a break for stress then the university will be more than supportive.

Good luck and let us know how you get on – whatever decision you make will be the right one!

🙂

elfie
2 weeks ago

Hi @saif97.
I really struggled in college while trying to get my nursing degree. At the time I didn’t know I had ms, and I’m glad I didn’t. It would have given me an excuse to quite. I just struggled through. I’m so glad I did. My grades were terrible but I still got the diploma.
If you are passionate about this degree and can visualize your future doing it, then you can make it happen. You may have to go at a slower pace. Consider a 5 year plan? As birdboy said college is tough! Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Good luck to you.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.