Last reply 9 months ago
Colds

Do people find they are more prone to colds? I’m catching them all the time and it’s driving me nuts. It seems as soon as I’ve got over one and starting to get my strength back, I’m back to square one and feel rubbish again. Doesn’t help that I work in a secure building so anyone with colds passes it and i guess it just flows through the air con. I’m at my wits end

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
9 months ago

@mattyinnit , I can’t determine whether you’re on a Disease Modifying Therapy (DMT) or not. If you are, these are immuno-suppressive, so can leave us liable to coughs and sneezes.

mattyinnit
9 months ago

Not on any DMT, on high dose of Carbamazepine, and Gabapentin

mattyinnit
9 months ago

My MS nurse doesn’t think they would help me, as nerves on left side are knackered, due to having Cerebral palsy as well.

stumbler
9 months ago

@mattyinnit , you have a lot on your plate already. And your compromised immune system won’t help much with the colds.

I hope you’ve had the flu jab.

mattyinnit
9 months ago

Yeah definitely, got one last week.

nutshell88
9 months ago

Hi

I’ve never got flu jab in my life and I hardly ever get cold after being daignosed but when I do get it its more than bad.
although last week all my family got cold I had sore throught for a week cold for couple of days and now I’m fine.
but I must say I used 3 paracetamol day before yesterday.

try to stay warm most of time specially in the winter now.

I keep having warm milk in the winter thats what we do here.
beside tea and coffee of course and of course I dress warm cloths cover my mouth nose before I go out avoid people with flu and such.

and of course eat food rich of vitamins.

I hope they stop because I think they leave a wee mark in ms people.

potter
9 months ago

I get colds from my husband that he brings home from work. I have then twice as long as he does and usually need antibiotics. My last cold turned into a eye and ear infection, my GP said I was a mess. I am on a Tecfidera so my immune system is low. Is there anyway you can work from home during cold and flu season? My husband came home from work the other day and said everyone at work it getting sick. It sent a chill down my spine, he is retiring next year this will make me so happy. Potter

bensdad
9 months ago

Nutritation is key. Eat well and supplement if you need to. Vitamin C and Zinc, try a multivitamin and mineral tablet. You need to look after your body and give it the best chance possible. ms meds lower the immune system you need to give it a boost!! They do not work overnight but good food and veg plus supplements do work!!!

hmcampos
9 months ago

Dont forget your D vitamin @mattyinnit 🙂

As for being prone to colds I wouldn’t say I am but this year it got me bad. Still wondering, after getting the cold to go away, if what I feel in my eyes and my hand are my old lesions getting worse or just my body not yet recovered.

Keep yourself safe, that myelin needs to be well protected!

H

cameron
9 months ago

They say that we generally don’t pay enough attention to hand hygiene, as this is a major cause of spreading of germs. Hand gel at all times and on all surfaces, especially phones and keypads! I was recommended a make called First Defence, who do a set of foam for your hands and a dropper solution to sniff up your nose. I’m retired now so don’t come into contact with as many germs but when I was teaching the solution and foam used every day definitely reduced my incidence of colds. Since I stopped there are more products (e.g. hand gels) on the market but I don’t know of any other make for your nose.

mattyinnit
9 months ago

Thanks all,
Yeah I take cholecalciferol (Vit D), but definitely going to try take multivitamin and bring a hand wash to work as well.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.