Last reply 1 year ago
Cold survival

So my lovely son gave me his cold & cough a few weeks ago. Yes they said when diagnosed, try not to get a cold, well might of well have said try not to have children then! But anyhoo, an m.s friend of mine says no to strepsils but only tyrozets if u have m.s. Why? Too late! I survived last two weeks on strepsils! Any input, gratefully recieved. Xxx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

simone2
1 year ago

I take 3000mgs of vitamin C every day which keeps me from getting colds.

potter
1 year ago

You may have to go see your GP, I usually do, my colds turn into something worse and I need antibiotics. My last bad head cold I went to see my GP and she said I had pneumonia and I was put on antibiotics and bed rest for two weeks. Potter

francleone
1 year ago

I thought if you had MS that meant you had an over active Immune System if anything, hence why the anti-bodies keep turning on the nervous system and attacking the Mylene Sheath? I had always suffered from colds after diagnosis but once my illness became more active and my general health detereorated I have hardly had anything like this, maybe one bout of flu and one cold in the past nine years? I think probably that being in contact with children must be what has caused this for you?

francleone
1 year ago

Just read back what I posted and duh! Please ignore as obviously another bout of brain for, apologies.

francleone
1 year ago

Just read back what I posted and duh! Please ignore as obviously another bout of brain fog, apologies.

motorhead
1 year ago

I’ve come down with “a bit of a cold” first time since diagnosis last year- it’s completely knocked me off my feet so I know how you feel.

I work on the railways so always around people who are a bit stiffly so I always carry round antibacterial hand gel with me, have a quick squirt if I come in contact with anyone. Think I might start taking Vitamin C as well now

cameron
1 year ago

I think we can get too hung up on do’s and don’ts! You live your life through the MS and even without MS we’re all going to get coughs and sniffles. The important thing IMO is to have a healthy regime overall, then take what comes. From bitter experience I know that the worst thing for symptoms is to start worrying and fretting. Turns my symptoms on like a tap. Get busy with the hand gel! xx

freya
1 year ago

I can’t think of any possible reason why you should avoid Strepsils just because you have MS?! The active ingredients are relatively mild, Tyrozets have an antibiotic in them so are stronger but that’s not necessarily a good thing, it depends on your circumstances.

If you take other medications or DMDs, or have any other specific problems, you may want to double check with your GP or pharmacist; otherwise, I’m pretty sure this advice can be ignored.

If you’re worried, ask your MS nurse, but if I were you I wouldn’t be concerned about this!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.