Last reply 4 months ago
Cold Callers arriving at home

I thought id share an experience with everyone and to get opinion from any vunerable members on this MS site. For a considerable period of time Iv had various sales people and religous people arriving at my front door wanting to talk or sell me stuff, I got sick of it and got a sign made and put it on my front door saying -No cold callers of any kind. and its a large enough sign which you cant miss unless ur completley blind or cant spell! I feel quite angered that people choose to ignore and knock on my door anyway! today I lost the plot when my door went and i was asleep at the time after a hellish night with pain then you get some ignorant sellfish bastard disturb you! Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar? I answered my door still half asleep and unwell and had some guy tell me hes doing a survey in the area, I replied cant you read the sign on my door and he said yes, I replied what the f__k are you disturbing me for then? Then he said dont speak to me like that!! I then said would u like me to arrange an ambulance for you to take u to hospital? Basically its never ending these people who ignore my wishes and when Iv asked police advice they say its not against the law to knock on my door despite sign! The only way the police can take action is if i tell someone to keep away and they refuse!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

grandma
4 months ago

I have the same problem but I have a strategy. I point to my big sign and say, very sweetly, “I’m surprised that your firm employs people who can’t read, I feel very sorry for all other disabled people but I am amazed that such a high powered sales job employs people who can’t read” It’s funny how they back off, very embarrassed, back down my huge ramp and disappear into the wild blue yonder! But I have had stand up arguments with double glazing salesmen, who have stood and argued that their products are so superior that they will take my existing double glazing ( very expensive and obviously fairly new) out and put theirs in, and because they have such a superior product that they are canvassing the area and ignoring signs because people will want to hear about their product. Big headed or what😫

Anonymous
4 months ago

@grandma its a complete lack of respect towards anyone this happens to,its also made me realise these signs could be seen as ” Im an easy target or a walkover to some of these people” I have read heartbreaking storys all the time in local newspapers of vunerable people being targeted by cold calling conmen arriving at peoples homes etc and its made think these signs could be more harm than good to some vunerable people! I dont think the guy that came to my door yesterday will come back again after the aggressive toned lecture I gave him,it really angered me that he said I dont look like a have disabilities etc! I shouldnt have to explain to anyone about my health ,my door sign should be more than enough. My next plan of action is to have my iphone camera at the ready to photograph anyone who dares ignore my wishes and I will let local newspapers see who the these culprits are.
p.s id make u welcome grandma or anyone else with MS if u arrived at my door because people with MS are exempt from my wishes πŸ™‚

stumbler
4 months ago

I had someone knock at the door. There were two of them, the other was at my neighbours door across the drive.

I looked down at the clipboard he was carrying. It had a paper on it entitled, “Knockers List”.

I pointed at it and exclaimed loudly, “Now don’t tell me, you’re a pair of knockers!!”

He gave up on me at that stage.

But, recently, it takes me longer to get to the door. And, I was getting a bit fed up of the number of callers, who couldn’t wait for me. So I got myself one of those “Ring” Video-doorbells (www.ring.com) and I’m pretty impressed.

I can now tell cold callers to b*gger off, without getting up from my seat! Plus there are obvious security advantages too.

grandma
4 months ago

Ms-man, if the courts say yes, and I get my mobility car back I’m planning a tour de uk to meet as any mser son this site as will welcome me, the dog and the caravan for a night or two. All I need is a drive, a socket (I have a very long lead) the caravan in converted and I have my own loo, cooker, microwave all the equipment needed, I won’t need anything from anyone, and it will be lovely to meet you all. I know you’re in the uk, but I don’t know whereabouts, will I be welcome in your neck of the Woods?😍

Anonymous
4 months ago

@stumbler ur comment made me laugh!! and also thanks for mentioning about video door bells thats a great idea that I should look into and I would find that very useful. I guess im quite disapointed about cold callers ignoring my sign and the fact that I happen to live in a no cold calling zone!! its amazing how sales people etc dont really care!

Anonymous
4 months ago

@grandma I hope that the courts go in ur favour and that you get to tour the UK because you deserve to be able to live ur life the way u want without the government making ur life any tougher than it should be,Id make u welcome in my neck of the woods and any other people with MS or disabilites as people with bad health conditions or disabilities are the only people I have time for these days,u would just have to message me and I would tell u in a private message where u would be welcome πŸ™‚

frankyjack
4 months ago

If you’ve got the patience and energy, you can waste their time, speak to them enthusiastically and just as they think they’ve got a sale or a religious conversion, just laugh in their face and tell em to p*** off πŸ€ͺ I know these people are just doing a job, but if they are ignoring signs which are clearly visible, they ask for it.

Those doorbell thingymajigs look handy, I’ll get one for my mam. I work nights and she often tries to get to the door before they wake me up! Usually her effing n blinding is what wakes me up πŸ˜„

potter
4 months ago

When we built our house I put a inexpensive Tandy doorbell system that is also a intercom station, I can answer it from my studio or close to my bedroom. If I am bed I just don’t answer the door, I would never make it in time anyways. I also have a thick big rustic front door with a small wrought iron door in it. When someone won’t leave I open it to see what they want. They only can see my eyes so it doesn’t matter if I am still in my robe. Our house is at the edge of the city in a area with a lot of undeveloped land. I was some what uncomfortable about being out there alone. The only problem we have had in the past 11 years was our mail being stolen, we fixed that by getting it sent to a P.O. Box. Potter

Anonymous
4 months ago

@frankyjack when my door goes and I look through my spy hole and if its not someone I know etc I start to think something is wrong or im about to get told some bad news etc as electricity/gas meter readings etc I know about in advance and I know if im expecting my kids to visit. Im the most placid guy in the world but these people who ignore my wishes get right up my nose,especially as i have taken some measures to prevent being disturbed, im not religious at all and Iv ended up taking the complete piss out of religious cold callers, no offence to any religious people on this site,everyone is entitled to their own views or beliefs in life but i just can’t cant my head around imaginary men up sitting on top of clouds etc I think science pretty much can explain most things πŸ˜„

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.