rose54 29/10/14
Last reply 3 years ago
cold and then hot

I am new to all of this so I wanted to ask a question about temperature. I get heat sweats throughout the day, they only last a minute or so, but it is uncomfortable and frequent. I have taken my temperature and it is always within normal range, so I know it is not a fever. I also get cold feet that only warm up with socks and blankets, then after about an hour, I am hot again. Is this normal for MS?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@rose54 , MS can give us “thermostat” problems.

The brain regulates our heat based on the messages it receives from our nerve endings. MS can affect the safe transmission of these messages, so that the brain responds on no, or incorrect, information.

I have no idea of your age, @rose54 , so I don’t now whether menopause issues need to be ruled out. 😕

cameron
3 years ago

Yes, the body thermostat is not that great for me, either. I’m the first to overheat and the first to feel chilly. I sleep in an air-conditioned bedroom with a hot water bottle and bedsocks. You get used to it! Don’t know about the sweating, though… as @stumbler says, it might be non-MS reasons, but MS does some funny things so it might equally be part of your faulty thermostat.

us-emma
3 years ago

I agree. We have a very narrow “comfort range” and are especially sensitive to humidity.

One trick I have found is showers- cold or hot- they get me back into the normal range more quickly than anything else.

We also keep a cold house, summer or winter, I find it easier to bundle up, cuddle up, than try to cool off- especially for sleeping.

This can be an emergency- a friend got heat stroke just by doing some light yard work and required medical attention and IV fluids. Listen to your body and try not to ‘push through’.

MS is a powerful teacher…

tiggermum
3 years ago

@us-emma – your final sentence is brilliant! And one I will be keeping in mind myself. MS is a powerful teacher… 🙂

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.