Last reply 1 year ago
Cognitive problems?

Hi all i was wondering if others have noticed a cognitive decline on a similar pace to a physical one? My physical decline has been pretty rapid of late, as has my cognitive one. I know MS can affect cognitive ability but I was wondering if the 2 things are connected?

Thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

nutshell88
1 year ago

Hi @craigsreddie

I’m not aware of any scientific proof since I’m not deeply aware of MS effect although I was daignosed 2017.
All I could tell is I joined uni 2007 grafes were A’s +B’s
But I got sever vertigo 2010 its effect still effecting my balance followed by loads of weird symptoms taste in half of my tongue come and go and switching even double vision
Couldnt hold a pen or open a bottle of water ect grades were C’s and D’a no matter how hard I used to try and in uk i was chuffed to be there at first graded were top first month weather changes walking difficulities pain less aleep double vision grades went down graduated with same grades i got in my home land being in the uk benet me in giving fcr certificate with c1 grade failed or nearly failed 🤭😞

I hope i wrote that clear enough. And I hope its related.

nutshell88
1 year ago

But it wasnt so horrific I was working too.
But can not compare it to how I feel now much wiser of course. And btw I get relapses once every year or several yrs. for now but in the uk zi got atrophy because I’ve been and still off treatments. Maybe.

stumbler
1 year ago

@craigsreddie , the symptoms of MS are wide and varied, dependent on the location of lesions on their brain and spine. No two of us have similar symptoms or similar progression.

Contact your MS Nurse on Monday and discuss the progression of your symptoms. Being SPMS myself too, I realise that there is no specific treatment available to us, but they may have some suggestions.

Otherwise, look after yourself, make sure you get enough sleep, don’t stress and don’t overdo things. 😉

Anonymous
1 year ago

@stumbler thanks for the reply mate. I am amazing at not stressing or overdoing things & I am great at sleeping 😉

Anonymous
1 year ago

@nutshell88 Thanks for your reply & it made perfect sense. Make sure you get lots of rest, look after yourself & those grades will keep
Improving!

I wish you well,
Craig

edmontonalberta
1 year ago

@craigsreddie

I went through elementary school getting top marks in my class; graduated high school without studying. My IQ was tested in my early 30’s after a night of heavy partying – scored 130 which is the middle of “very superior intelligence”.

I have PPMS; my cognitive abilities have deteriorated big time. My math skills are probably on the level I was at in Grade 3. My memory sucks big time; I don’t remember what I ate yesterday. The list goes on but you get my point. Never a dull moment… 😉

Anonymous
1 year ago

@edmontonalberta Thanks for the response! I do get your point & you’re right about those moments 😉

potter
1 year ago

I signed up for Lumosity (brain games) my scores were at the top in all of the subjects when I started, My spelling and math scores started dropping and kept dropping. After my two year contract was up I didn’t renew it was too depressing. Top of the class in college and now I can’t spell. Potter

grahamjk
1 year ago

Hi, I’m very similar, although not exactly smart I did have quite a good vocabulary. Now I struggle to remember the most common words when i need to, for example I was talking to my dad about when I filled in my first pip application form, i could remember who helped me, where I was, but not the name of the organisation ( citizens advice bureau) so it does seem linked for me😀😀

mhworden
1 year ago

Hi @craigsreddie. Yes, this loss of mental acuity and stamina is so frustrating. Never sure how much is aging vs MS. To keep your mind active I can recommend curious.com app (Free). You can tailor content to your personal interests. I particularly like the KENKEN puzzles and there’s something new every day.

Anonymous
1 year ago

Hi @mhworden & thanks for your response & advice. I’ll try those apps you suggested

All the best,
Craig

Anonymous
1 year ago

@potter & @grahamjk Thanks very much for your replies & apologies for taking so long to acknowledge them!

All the best,
Craig

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.