Last reply 1 year ago
Climb stairs

Hi guys, i would appreciate any advise . I have trouble going upstairs my husband needs to lift my legs to be able to vlimb steps. Does anybody has a different trick? This is so upsetting!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

potter
1 year ago

This may sound a little weird, but my mother in-law found that she can go up the stairs backwards easier. Her problems are from surgery but it is something you might try, make sure you have a good hand rail and someone nearby when you try. Sometimes you can find those stair chair lifts at estate sales for reuse shops. Potter.

mmhhpp
1 year ago

Thanks potter for your suggestion, my problem is that my leg wont lift up neither forwards not backwards and i need both hands in handrails. Waiting to move downstairs into garage when converted but that will take a year! Still on planning application step….

stumbler
1 year ago

@mmhhpp , I had this problem and had to give in and get a stairlift.

If you have a straight staircase, you can usually get a recycled one for under £1,000. If it needs to go round a corner(s), it can cost considerably more.

mmhhpp
1 year ago

Hi stumbler, thanks for your reply. Yes i can see that. I am about to give in. When did you stop climbing steps? I am so afraid that things will move rapidly down hill when i stop struggling going upstairs… it is so scary…. i feel i am going down rapidly in the last year and i have had ms for only 7 years….

stumbler
1 year ago

@mmhhpp , my requirement was caused by an infection, which knocked me off my feet for over a week. I then had to get some movement back into my legs, before I could start “struggling” up the stairs again!

The acquisition of the stairlift has been a godsend to me. It has also been a relief to my wife, who had to watch me struggle and even assist.

It allows you to use the energy on something more worthwhile.

All these mobility aids are acquired “in case of need”. We don’t have to use them all the time, if we can manage comfortably.

mmhhpp
1 year ago

Thanks stumbler for your reply! Xxx

mmhhpp
1 year ago

Hi stabler i forgot before to ask. You seem quite informed about ms, appart from reading are you a scientist biologyst or a doctor? Just a curiosity.

vicy
1 year ago

People who have a long leg plaster on sometimes find it easier to go upstairs on their bottom, are your arms strong enough for that?

kellzxox
1 year ago

@mmhhpp I have to go upstairs backwards due to having a few falls for the time being I would suggest that to you it’s a bit easier xx

stumbler
1 year ago

@mmhhpp , I’m not medical in any way, shape or form. I’m more of a computer geek.

But, I have had MS for quite sometime and, over the years, I’ve found quite a lot of time on my hands. So, I’ve learnt a fair bit and know how to find answers on the interweb.

I just really pass on information and talk from personal experience. 😉

And, by the way, prior to my stairlift, if my legs wouldn’t get me up the stairs forwards, I used to go up backwards on my butt, one step at a time.

mmhhpp
1 year ago

Thank you all for your replies! My husband also thought about going backwards on my bottom! Unfortunatelly it is not only my legs affected but my uper body too and once i rich the top of the stairs standing up and turning around it is much harder ?.

Luckily some days i can still go upstais with no help but i don’t know for how long though….☹️.

Hi stumbler a computer gig then ok?!

Take care xxxx

koffeelover
1 year ago

I have a stairlift coming next month!!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.