Last reply 5 years ago
Can I handle a commute?

I’m lucky enough to be able to work full time. Although I have some troubles getting to and from work (walk, train,bus,walk)especially in hot weather I am fine with the work itself and enjoy it. The problem is that it’s low paid and I still have a lot more to offer. As there seems no room for advancement (nothing to do with MS) I’ve been looking around.
I’ve now got an interview for a senior position at a London company that I’d really enjoy. The problem is that I would need to commute 3 or 4 days a week, maybe 1 .5 hours each way.
Does anyone manage a regular journey like that?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

mrshawk
5 years ago

i did for 3 years! I had MS during this time but i wasnt diagnosed yet. I was having episodes but when you dont think they are anythign big it is amazing how you can push through it and not worry! anyways yes i managed it just find. I stopped commuting simply becuase i ended up finding work closer to home and took it!

But dont let the fear of MS stop you- go for it!!!

stumbler
5 years ago

@porpoise, it all depends on what the commute entails.
I had my first episode back in 1986, when I was working up in London – I live on the south coast near Brighton.
I used to be on a train at 06:30 in the morning and the return one left London @ 17:30.
I was undiagnosed at the time and just suffering from footdrop, which almost fully cleared.
I commuted 5 days a week for the next 12 years, which involved a drive to the station, a sedate train journey, then a walk of about a mile.
Yes, towards the end of my 12 years, my MS was starting to grumble, causing fatigue in the legs. Getting to the station on the way home was getting interesting.
I managed to get a move down to Brighton, so I could drive most of the way into work and walk the last ½ mile. I managed to keep that going for another 14 years, during which time, I got a diagnosis and had two fairly severe relapses.
So, it is do-able, but don’t allow yourself to get stressed out about……anything.

oskar
5 years ago

@porpoise I had my boss do ‘the right thing’ last year, she insisted on Access to Work, who provide taxis for me. I was initially horrified at giving up my daily cycle (it’s 3 1/2 miles) and thought I would be forced to be ‘taxi bound’. Fortunately not – I take the bus and walk, when I can, but AtW taxis have helped. It’s worth enquiring – they’ll also do a ‘workplace’ assessment to see if any jobmodifications would help.
https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/overview

JustJones
5 years ago

Everyone is so different!

I couldn’t handle a commute to London every day. I live only a couple of minutes from a stations that has direct access to liverpool Street within an hour. Yet i still couldn’t. I considered it for a while and even trialed it for a bit whilst doing some voluntary work (they paid my ravel thankfully!)

(a) the trains are all full and rarely would i actually get a seat… meaning i was tired before I’d even got to work.

(b) I found the traveling stressful… and stress is not my friend! I find that when i’m stressed I get symptomatic…

so it was a no no for me!

only you know your strengths and the things that make life difficult…

phil76
5 years ago

@porpoise, I was diagnosed about 18months ago and I commute into London every day. I used to be able to walk to my station, but it is just too far for me to comfortably do so I discovered my locall bus service! I leave my flat at 7ish, bus to the 7.22 train into the office for 8.30 and if I leave on time and do the same in reverse, I can be home for around 6.30. I am lucky that I live far enough away from London that I can get a seat for the whole journey and also lucky that my MS seems a very mild form right now. I have been doing this commute for just on 14 years and don’t know how long the MS has been around for, but I wouldn’t let MS stop you without at least giving it a go!!

janep
5 years ago

Hi @porpoise. I moved down to London a year ago and was really worried about the traveling as I’d been lucky enough to be able to walk to work in my previous job. Like @phil76 I’m lucky that I’m right near the start of my tube line so can guarantee a seat in the morning but I often have to stand for a while on the way home. For the first week or so I was exhausted but now it’s fine and I love being a ‘proper’ London worker 🙂 You may have to learn to be brave and ask someone to give you a seat if you’re struggling, I’m rubbish at that and won’t do it! Fortunately if I’m really in need of a seat it is because I’m in the middle of a relapse and the walking stick usually prompts someone to offer! So if you have a reasonable route available to you and you don’t find traveling in general too tiring or stressful then definitely go for it- the boost from getting a job where you feel you are really achieving something will get you through the first weeks of being extra tired. Good luck! xx

porpoise
5 years ago

Thanks everyone – really good advice! Tuesday is the interview…

stumbler
5 years ago

Hey guys, get yourself one of these :-
http://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-resources/ms-assistance-card
It’s not guaranteed to work, but it may be of use if you are needing a seat when commuting.
And it doesn’t cost anything!

jman
5 years ago

The Rail services have ‘free assistance’ which can be booked. @reddivine gave me a number which will book on any trainline (as opposed to calling up each supplier..) 0845 300 3005

Just remember your health is a priority, however tempting bits of life can be:)

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.