Last reply 3 years ago
Burning pain. Tips/tricks?

I am having some issues with burning pain. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to help ease the pain. It’s so bad I am unable to sleep tonight. Thanks in advance.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

Hi @jay23 , you’ll be pleased to know that this particular symptom does have its own name :- http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/dysaesthesia.jsp

And, I’d suggest having a read through of this, particularly the section on Neuropathic pain :- http://www.mstrust.org.uk/shop/product.jsp?prodid=96

πŸ˜‰

jay23
3 years ago

thanks again @stumbler!

Anonymous
3 years ago

Try Neurontin (gabapentin) and/or Lyrica (pregabalin). I require both. Gabapentin solves my bladder pain and Lyrica solves the rest. You don’t have to live with that pain.

jay23
3 years ago

I should have mentioned that I needed tips or tricks without meds. It is possible that I could be pregnant. Before this last relapse I have never experienced pain like this, so I truly thought I could get through a pregnancy pain free, I have done it once before. However, this does not seem plausible at the moment. I am really at a loss. I have never felt so helpless. The pain seems to increase at night time making it near to impossible to sleep and thus throwing everything else off that much more. I will be doing some blood work tomorrow and booking an appointment with my Neurologist sometime soon. I am just not sure it is soon enough. Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate them. Fingers cross this goes away just as quick as it came on.

stumbler
3 years ago

@jay23 our NHS has the following advice regarding treatment for peripheral neuropathy, which is similar to what we get with MS.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Peripheral-neuropathy/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Some of this is not appropriate, but some of it is. πŸ˜‰

Anonymous
3 years ago

You can imagine that with suffering as much as I have, would have methodically and carefully researched for better remedies to my nerve pain. I have after many attempts, necessarily settled on a combination of neurontin, lyrica, tramadol, baclofen, and xanax to help handle the distress of it all. Even with all of this every 4 hours, if the weather changes, I will certainly be suffering with severe pain. I take large quantities and try to sleep through it all. I am talking about really severe pain particularly down my right side including leg, abdomen, arm and hand hat was initially hit by a the first major attack. That is why I have stressed in other entries the unpredictable nature of MS and people should not consider no DMD. I am looking forward to reducing the use of these drugs whose SEs contribute to disabilities as others have done when I switch to lemtrada next month. Others report reducing their symptom control drugs in half and finally totally fairly soon. Ask @us-emma for one such testimonies. I can only hope by addressing some of the underlying problems, the same will happen for me.

us-emma
3 years ago

@j23,

I have posted this somewhere else on Shift so I apologise in advice for the repeat-

To non-medicinally treat nerve pain try to “distract it”

One way to do this is natural daily activity. Maybe you’ve noticed you sense the pain more when you relax for sleep & other things quiet down? So one solution is to move, engage in an activity, etc.

If you need to ‘rest’ try to distract the pain with pressure or heat.a warm bath might help.

I use “rice packs”. These started as simple tube socks filled with uncooked rice. You zap them in the microwave for 2-4 min for an instant reusable heat pack. The added weight of the rice helps as well.

Pain is transmitted to the brain along 2 different pathways- one slow & one fast. The heat distracts or overrides the fast track, the pressure overrides or distracts the slow path. So you are really attempting to get the message of ‘heat’ or ‘pressure’ to the brain louder or of greater amplitude than the pain message. Does that make sense?

My rice packs have morphed into customized sizes with pockets to keep the rice in place. My mom made these. So I have sizes to fit my thighs, neck, back, etc. they are larger & heavier than a tube sock & work amazing. I don’t need them anymore, or rarely, after Lemtrada but they were a life saver many nights prior to tmt.

Thai massage is my last non-med trick. Thai is different from typical Swedish massage which is more common where I life. Thai m. Is about stretching. Sessions are usually longer & so can be more pricey but well worth it.

We have no Thai m. places in my area so my husband ordered books & we taught ourselves. He could do one targeted area or a larger more complete session depending on need. I cannot tell you now wonderful and helpful this has been. Again I don’t need this much now after tmt with Lemtrada.

The best book we found & one we used the most was “Thai Massage Workbook: For Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced Courses” by C. Pierce Salguero

Hope some of those suggestions help!

Take care,
Emma

us-emma
3 years ago

@jay23,

If that pathway stuff was less than clear… Think of these two nerve pathways as train tracks. Only one train can run at a time on each track.

So you want to make the dominant, faster, more pronounced message the heat or pressure message to bump the pain message off the track so it doesn’t reach your brain as often as the h/p message.

Hope that is more clear.

Em

Anonymous
3 years ago

So there is some logic behind all of these pressure garments that we see advertised mostly in suspicious infomercials? An early attack left my right hand useless. I eventually regained motor control, but it has become a barometer for the rest of my right side’s pain. I learned early on that a pressure glove transformed my right hand pain into more of a sense of pressure. I have worn pressure gloves sold to burn victims ever since. But when things get really bad I find myself removing the glove maybe out of desperation. I bought a pressure shirt to try the same treatment to address my MS hug. It really did not help. I tried the heated rice packs as well. They felt good, but are no match for the whole torso and arm, hand and leg being on fire. I would die without lyrica. But even trying lots of combinations with lots of drugs, when the atmosphere is unsettled, I suffer terribly. I am hoping that lemtrada will help.

jay23
3 years ago

Thanks everyone for replying to my desperate middle of the night post! I truly appreciate it.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.