Last reply 4 years ago
Botox: Bladder

Having had – and still experiencing – bladder issues associated with my MS; urgency, leaks etc, my neurologist refered me to a urologist, who has recommended bladder muscle Botox. Its aim is to relax the bladder muscle. He reckons this will transform my situation.
Any fellow MSers any experience of this?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
4 years ago

@eddie-d , been there, done that! 😉

Yes, I had all those problems that you have mentioned. It was starting to restrict and dictate my life. I was already on medications and Intermittent self-catheterising (ISC). Then I was offered Botox.

I had the procedure on 1st August last year. At my 6 week review, three months later, I was asked whether I was 90% happy with the outcome. I actually suggested my satisfaction went higher than that! It gave me my life back.

So, I can speak highly off the outcome, although a year down the line, I feel that I may need it done again. It does wear off unfortunately.

The other thing that needs to be considered is that emptying your bladder would require the use of a catheter. If you’re already on ISC, that shouldn’t be a problem as you’re used to it.

Any other questions? I’m happy to answer to make your decision easier.

eddie-d
4 years ago

Hi @stumbler
That’s great to hear!
Yes, to prevent UTI (from retention) they suggest that I self-catheterise 3 or 4 times a day – I’ve not done this before…
The Botox will be every six months.
Fingers crossed – as opposed to legs 😉
Thanks for your response!
Eddie

stumbler
4 years ago

Eddie-D , self catheterisation is something that you’ll quickly get used to. The benefits far outweigh minor changes in routine.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.