Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

moorcroft44
4 years ago

There’s alot to choose from.. Try Amazon…I personally like MS for Dummies lol suited me down to the ground

caterpillar
4 years ago

I would start with what you can get absolutely free and right now 🙂 :

mstrust.org.uk has lots of good information – lots of info for newly diagnosed, lots of videos, good brochures about everything. Their site is more up-to-date than any book could possibly be.

mssociety.org in America and mssociety.org.uk also has lots of good information – free and at your fingertips

Books : “Multiple Sclerosis for Dummies” that moorcroft44 suggested is probably a good place to start. I liked “Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis” also – it gives people the option of doing something to get better – as an extra to whatever treatment is needed. They have an internet site with the same name and all the info is there for free.

northernlass
4 years ago

I got a lot of information and booklets and CD/DVD’s for free from the MS Society in the UK.. You could cherry pick the information that you want to find out about.. give them a look and/or ring them for advise.. I spoke to a lovely lady when I phoned early on after my diagnosis.. 🙂

cameron
4 years ago

I did exactly the same as you, Edward, when I was diagnosed. It’s part of the (lengthy) process of coming to terms with everything. But I hope you don’t fall into the trap that I did – i.e. persuading myself that I needed every last therapy/treatment that I read about! Whatever seems a good idea, especially if it’s going to cost serious money – run it by your MS nurse first. Hopefully, you may eventually also do the same as me: one day, about five years on from diagnosis when I was pretty much settled, I took my collection of books and pamphlets to the tip. They’d served their purpose, I was back in the driving seat. You’re doing great, big hugs, Kay

edwardsummerfield
4 years ago

Thanks again every one I downloaded the amazon kindle app on my tablet and there is lots to choose from so will be able to spend some time with that. And Unfortunetly Cameron I came out of work 5 weeks ago so I am skint so dont think I will be paying for any therapy lol.

amylee
4 years ago

hello,
I went into information gathering mode too after I was diagnosed but I read things like forums and chats because I wanted to know what MS was really like from the people who had it, not the doctors writing books. I read and talked about nothing else for a few months until I felt I wanted to stop that as it was a bit like an obsession and was making me scared and sad reading about all the suffering. It took me awhile to work out that you don’t always see the positive stories of MS because those people are busy doing other stuff!

So now I keep a canvas bag beside my bed that is full of MSsociety booklets and leaflets. I got these sent to me when I rang my local MSsociety but I think you can order online for free or a donation. I just go through them every now and then if a question pops up for me. Mostly it’s just reassuring to know it’s all there should I want it. It’s basic, to the point, up to date stuff. I think up to date is important because the medical world moves pretty fast sometimes.

If you find anything to be a good read let me know! I’m sure one day I’ll go back to information gathering again x

stumbler
4 years ago

Always consider the credibility of your data sources. There are horror stories out there, which are best avoided.

Use creditable sites, like the MS Trust that do a range of publications :- http://www.mstrust.org.uk/publications/publications-for-people-with-ms.jsp

And the MS society :- http://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-resources .

northernlass
4 years ago

If you are out of work now @edwardsummerfield it may help to get some advice on benefits and get an application in for PIP as the wait till you get seen by an assessor is very very long (They say 26 weeks plus but will backdate the money from the date they receive your claim..) I’m still waiting.. :-/ Also there maybe other benefits you are entitled too so get some advice from one of the trusted MS websites MS Trust UK and MS Society are very helpful. Good luck and let us know how you get on 🙂

col81
4 years ago

Hi, I’m new to this site and I’ve just come across this conversation about book’s? I haven’t bought any books over the past 11 years but I have found looking through the internet a valuable source of information! The most important website for me has to be Overcoming ms, this gives you all the tools you need to keep as healthy and strong as possible.
I have had benign ms since 2003 but I firmly believe it was my healthy lifestyle change and positive attitude to life that has kept me strong 🙂 Happy browsing x

reddivine
4 years ago

I would echo stumbler and say start with MS Society, they do a number of FREE downloadable leaflets about varied topics to do with MS.
Stick around on here and read multiple stories.
you r in the UK so there should be a group near you..check the MAP (left of your screen) and see who is near you…meeting others is a good way to network.

Thanks everyone your all such a great bunch off ppl means alot that ppl are willing to take the time to help I have got a few leaflets and this site has been great thanks x

curlyclaire
4 years ago

@edwardsummerfield MS Trust information has always been helpful to me and my family and friends, gives you a bit more info than MS Society which is also good. Their book/leaflet on what is ms is excellent.

Hope you are coping I know it’s all a bit crazy when first diagnosed, but it does get easier! Wishing you all the best X

edwardsummerfield
4 years ago

Will check it out tonight thanks Claire 🙂 and yes it is a lot to take in but I am ready for the challenge x

graham100
4 years ago

Hi ed. don’t over read and put bad thoughts in your head. They recon I had it when I was much younger but didn’t even notice till now, I’m 57 only had probs 2yrs. Was really fit and active up till then, you could be great for years yet, so don’t put stress in your head.Ed. lol

us-emma
4 years ago

I read this Barts site everyday:

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com

It keeps you current on a range of issues and provides info so you feel informed about making your own treatment decisions- or at least feel like you know what you are agreeing to- what your options are.

Best wishes 🙂

edwardsummerfield
4 years ago

Trouble is Graham had a severe relapse that left me bed bound for over a month, I am able to walk again just not far and with a crutch. Staying as positive as possible and improving day by day just want the use of my hands back tbh its a pain in the arse. Just not ready for another relapse just yet i can accept I will have them just want my body to get back to normal first. Have took a step back from the reading past couple of days and I rele enjoyed the time off with the miss felt a bit more normal lol. Thanks for the advice Graham and thank you Emma will check the site out tomoz thanks everyone x

graham100
4 years ago

Hi ed. how about this.
Pre-order your copy of taking charge now and get the current DISABILITY RIGHTS HANDBOOK (39th edition) for a combined price of £25! (RRP £40.99.)

Orders can be made online by clicking the picture below, by phone via 020 7250 8191 or by post via the order form attached.

stumbler
4 years ago

edwardsummerfield
4 years ago

Thank you everyone looking into all options ATM. X

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.