Last reply 7 months ago
Biotin

I picked up this idea from a Facebook Group. Biotin is used as a supplement for horses, so obtaining from a “Feed Store” may be cheaper.

I’ve just seen a 0.5 Kg pouch of Biotin for £32.50. According to my calculations, that would provide 1,666 doses of 300mg (used in MD1003).

That’s over 4.5 years supply.

I wonder…………….

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

mmhhpp
10 months ago

If a chemist is there a quick NMR would determine the purity of it!

cameron
10 months ago

Are you going to give it a go? x

stumbler
10 months ago

@cameron , neigh, I’m still procrastinating……….. 😉

stallionicchampionic
10 months ago

@mmhhpp the biotin should have a supplier certificate with it which should give you the purity.

hank
10 months ago

hi stumbler, i read your post about biotin with great interest as i also have P.P.M.S. and have been reading about the stage 3 trial, so with that in mind i have already bought some extra strength biotin (12,000 micro gms

hi stumbler, i read your post about biotin with great interest as i too have P.P.M.S. and have been thinking about taking biotin ,i have bought some extra strength 12,000mg from the internet. But before i started these i have been lucky enough to have been selected for the stage 3 trial. so i will get the proper stuff eventually even if i get the placebo first off. so i dont need these now , i have 4 unopened packs 120 tabs each , if you want i can send them to you if they will beof any use to you. if you want them let me know and i will give you my email and you can email your address.
yours martin hankins

stumbler
10 months ago

That’s a very kind offer, @hank , but I’ll pass. It takes some time for me to build up the enthusiasm to commit more money to ongoing supplements, etc..

Those extra strength tabs of 12,000 micrograms would actually require 25 tabs per day to match the 300 mg used in the MD1003 trials. But, I’m sure they would help somebody if you’re open to offers from other members.

hank
10 months ago

hi stumbler , yea offer open to anyone who wants them for free .

joshd
8 months ago

Interesting. Might the Biotin in my Vit B Complex supplement be a high enough dosage to be effective?

stumbler
8 months ago

@joshd , Biotin is Vitamin B7.

Having had a look at a few Vitamin B Complexs, they only contained 25 ,50 or 100µg of Biotin.

You need 300,000µg (300mg) to match the dosage in the MD1003 (Biotin) trials.

hank
8 months ago

just to let you know i am now on the stage 3 biotin trial so i will report back to you all and let you know how i am doing , although its still early days.

yours hank

tracyd
8 months ago

@hank

Do you have regular blood tests on the trial, and if so what do they check ?

Something those of us who’ve had Lemtrada have found is that the use of Biotin as a supplement really messes up our Thyroid checks on the blood tests. We have to stop using supplments with Biotin in a week before our monthly bloods or they come back all over the shop

imbarca
8 months ago

@tracyd I find 48hrs is enough wash out time for thyroid tests (which is lucky as I’m having them every 4 weeks since my thyroid went bananas 😀)

tracyd
8 months ago

@imbarca
Me to now sporting a hypo thyroid and rocking a thyroxin once a day 🙂
I wash out for 5 days before my bloods each month xx

lorag
7 months ago

I just saw my neurologist and ms nurse and they advised me to start taking biotin. The one they recommended is 100mg. It’s called ms-biotin boost.

Very expensive tho for 90 tablets $100. They also recommended get it from a heath website which is 100mcg which to my understanding not as strong but it is cheaper.

Not sure yet.

stumbler
7 months ago

@lorag , you may find it cheaper to buy pharmaceutical grade Biotin in bulk and weighing it out yourself. This would require a set of jeweller’s scales (not that expensive).

There’s details in a previous post, which I can’t find! 😕

But, this is the supplier, which was mentioned:-

https://purebulk.com/biotin-pure/

10grams would give you 300mg a day for a month at a cost of approx. A$37, plus postage (from America).

lorag
7 months ago

Ok I’ll look into that stumbler.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.