Last reply 3 years ago
baclofen

Hi guys. Just a quick question. Here’s an overview…
I have clonus at the moment and it’s severe. I’m due to see my neurologist soon who my physio believes will give me baclofen. My GP didn’t want to give it to me because it may make many of my other symptoms worse.
If I go on this, will I be able to work? I have been off work with my clonus and I am still off as I cannot walk and on double crutches x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@chloeautumnx , everyone seems to be different, so we have to try these things to see if they can help.

Baclofen is a muscle relaxant, so it sounds like it is in the right ballpark. However, it may be a case of finding the right dose for you.

If the dose is too high, you could relax the muscles too far, giving you “jelly-legs”. This may be what your GP is concerned about.

You have to find the right medications, with the right dosage, that suits you.

chloeautumnx
3 years ago

Thanks @stumbler. I’m just worried that it’s such strong stuff and it recommends that you don’t drive, that I won’t be any better off but I guess I need to try. I just wondered if I can work whilst taking this medication. X

stumbler
3 years ago

You’ll have to adopt a “suck-it-and-see” policy.

Most medications warn about driving, so see how it goes and how you feel.

Baclofen is used by quite a few MSers for similar types of muscle problems.

chloeautumnx
3 years ago

Thanks @stumbler 🙂

graham100
3 years ago

Not saying don’t. But I can’t take them even 10mg and I can’t walk. I’m better with stiff legs can at least stand then. Good luck.

brokendancer
3 years ago

I didn’t get on too well with them when I first took them, the made me so tired…. now I’m thinking that was quite simply been fatigue. After trying a few different things I went back to first base and tried again. I take 20/30mg a day now and I’m fine with it and not getting the sleepy thing at all which is why I think I confused things.
Sonia x

cclaire
3 years ago

Ifell asleep three times each day when a I was on Baclofen. I could be in the middle of a conversation and not have time to warn the person I was talking to that I was about to nod off! I used to avoid driving at the times when I was likely to fall asleep. I tried to make Baclofen work but I find Tizanidine much better, it is more recently evolved.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.