Last reply 5 days ago
Baby Stem Cells

Hi All,

Currently 26 weeks pregnant and am considering the process of collecting bubs stem cells and tissue to store for future use, by bub if needed of course.

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on this?

Obviously having MS I’m a little concerned bub may also end up with it and I want to make sure she has as many treatment options as possible for whatever may be needed.

Is this kind of thing a gimmick or worth it?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

katrinaf93
1 week ago

@ashory oh wow is this a thing? I don’t really know a lot about this but at 25 I am hopeful my MS doesn’t rule out my chance of children. Is it likely the condition would be passed on? Anything that is future proofing is 100% worth it if it’s at no risk to yourself or the baby. Are you documenting being pregnant with MS anywhere?

vixen
1 week ago

Hello @ashory, there was a news item on the BBC about this topic during the week. Search ‘stem cells’ on the BBC website. I think you can only do it by paying privately. Good luck, enjoy your pregnancy x

ashory
5 days ago

@katrinaf93

Yes, they can save cord blood and tissue which is then cryo-preserved for later use if needed. It is quite expensive at $6,000 but this does include 25 years of storage.

MS does not rule out your chance of having children by any means. I believe that having MS may increase your child’s chances of developing the same but only ever so slightly, you’d need to fact check this.

My Aunt has MS and neither of her daughters have MS or any signs of developing it. Both are well over 30 with children of their own, this of course doesn’t mean they won’t develop it in future but they have lived good lives and I don’t think if you asked them now that they would say they wished my Aunt hadn’t had children even if they do develop MS, if that makes sense?

I am not documenting my pregnancy, mostly because there is nothing to document. I feel much better whilst pregnant than I did previous to falling pregnant. I underwent IVF for reasons unrelated to MS and my first round/transfer was successful. Since then I have had 0 new MS symptoms and many of my usual symptoms are less noticeable. My drug of choice was Lemtrada in 2016 as I knew I wanted to have children and this was the best option. Unfortunately I have developed Grave’s Disease which was likely due to my infusions but this has been somewhat controlled over my pregnancy and has not been cause for too many concerns, high blood pressure here and there but otherwise all ok.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.