hole2k12 17/05/18
Last reply 1 week ago
Avonex pen: button too hard to press?

Hi all, I’ve been using the Avonex pen for about a year and a half now. At first I had no issues with using the pens, but probably the last 8 months or so I have had real trouble pressing down the button.
At first I put it down to anxiety stopping me from putting enough force down on the button. I would struggle for 30+ mins and almost every week was left in tears from frustration/fear. I started to get my mum or my sister to do the injections for me for a while to relieve my anxieties.
Recently I have been trying to do my own injections again and my anxiety levels have dropped dramatically but I cannot physically press the button. I’m pretty sure my anxieties have all come from being unable to press the button anymore all this time and getting more and more nervous while I’m struggling!
Has anyone else had this problem? My sister has agreed that plenty of times the button has been particularly hard to press but she obviously holds the pen at a different angle and finds it easier to use as a result. I have seen posts online from 2014 onwards of people complaining of the same thing in the US, is it a UK thing too?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

mmhhpp
1 week ago

@hole2k12 I don’t know how hard avonex pen is but i have weak hands that cannot push botton of a toothbrush….. ms can make hands weak

stumbler
1 week ago

@hole2k12 , discuss this problem with your MS Nurse. They may be able to provide some support to allow you to manage this anxiety hurdle.

laura94
1 week ago

I’ve had some very similar problems with pressing the button too. I’ve found that making sure the pen is pressed down firmly so that little black reactangle is gone makes it easier to press.
I do also find there’s an anxiety element to it too and my general feeling about pressing that blue button is “I don’t want to do this”, so usually just have my boyfriend to do it for me whenever possible. You definitely have to be determined to do it which I guess is good since it means you can’t administer it by accident!
Good luck with everything, you’ll get there!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.