britgoddess99 23/02/18
Last reply 1 day ago
Avonex – Missing an Injection

Hi!
I’m brand new to this community and I have lots of questions, but I figured I’d start with one for now.
I love to travel, and am determined not to let my RRMS diagnosis stop me from doing what I love. That being said, I may not always be able to take my Avonex with me on trips and keep it refridgerated. I’m wondering whether anyone here has ever missed an injection and whether you have had any symptomatic repercussions?
Thanks!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 month ago

Hi @britgoddess99 and welcome.

Patient Information for Avonex states :

“Should refrigeration be unavailable, vials of AVONEX can be stored at 25ºC (77ºF) for a period of up to 30 days”

Does that help at all?

britgoddess99
1 month ago

Thank you Stumbler, that helps a lot!!

richj
1 month ago

Hi @britgoddess99,
Remember if you are travelling on a plane to take the Avonex as hand luggage as the temperature in the hold will damage it. Also, take a letter from your MS nurse to show at the airports in case you are questioned. Not sure where you are but your Ms nurse will,I am sure, provide the letter, as they did for me.
Happy travelling
Rich

grandma
1 month ago

Hi , was on Avonex for 22 years (yes I’m that old) as others have already told you letter fromMS nurse very available so you can take sealed injection on as hand luggage and get through security Best if luck with any trios
Jill

grandma
1 month ago

By the way, forgot to say in the early days did miss the odd injection because being a fairly young mum at the time and the early injections were weekly and I had serious side effects the next day and didn’t want our annual camping trip ruined, never noticed any serious backtracking as. a result. Hope this helps. By the way are your injection 2 weekly? If your worried play with your injection day, several weeks before start by chainging g by one day a fortnight until the injection is the day before you leave, and then you have a clear fortnight.

britgoddess99
1 day ago

Thank you so much richj and grandma for your replies, and I apologize for this late reply. Your input is super helpful and I will definitely get a letter from my nurse when travelling. Grandma, my injections are just once a week, so moving the date around is very possible to do. Thanks again!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.