mshackney 05/06/15
Last reply 2 years ago
Avonex

Hi

Just wanted to know people experiences of Avonex. I have just been diagnosed with RRMs and am due to start this in a couple of weeks. How crappy can it make you feel? Am tempted to delay for a couple of weeks as have a 10k race (only running again this week after last relapse) and cousins wedding. Hate making decisions

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@mshackney , Avonex is one of the interferon-based DMDs, so it could give you some flu-like symptoms shortly after the injection.

This side-effect doesn’t last long, e.g. if you have the shot in the early evening, you may get the symptom later on that evening, but they’ll be gone by the morning.

Just don’t stress yourself out about it. It’s not worth the adverse effects of the stress. 😉

Good luck with it.

mshackney
3 years ago

Thank you, won’t delay then – delaying will probably stress me out more….

jessie88
3 years ago

Hi I have been on Avonex for nearly 2 years now. The flu like symptoms arent as bad u are thinking, when u start maximum they seemed to last was for 2 days. Important to make sure u drinking plenty of water! Take some paracetamol before I always Inject just before going to bed as u are sleep during the worst then just wake up with a bit of headache & aching shoulders. From experience I wouldnt inject lunchtime/mmid afternoon as I had the worst symptoms hot cold sweats blurred vision &stumling about like I had a way to heavy boozy night !!

Good luck you will be fine just dont delay

Jess xx

mshackney
3 years ago

Thanks Jess. I will probably have a million questions for you. Sorry!

jessie88
3 years ago

No worries just ask away! Very scary but no way is it as bad as you think it will b :0)xx

highheeledfagin
3 years ago

I’ve been on it for about six years. I usually take one paracetamol and one ibuprofen before I inject at night, then one ibuprofen after breakfast. I’m generally fine by afternoon. It took a few doses for my body to get used to it, but got easier.

mshackney
3 years ago

Thanks so much. Just a couple of shallowish questions. Did you gain weight on it? Can you drink? I don’t drink a lot or often but do like the odd glass of wine or cocktail.

Xx

zulfihan
3 years ago

l have been very recently diagnosed and on avonex.. l have not had much side effects but l have some reservations about the effectiveness of it comparing to others like rebif and betaferon. This is the least effective one and research suggests the delay in the treatment or controlling it will worsen the disease treatment in the long term. This is something l am going to discus with my dr and see what is going to happen.

thanks

jessie88
3 years ago

I didnt find that I put any weight on with it. The only weight I put on is wen I eat too much choc,holidays & christmas so the normal over indulgence !! I do have a drinkies but I inject on a tuesday so dont tend to have a drink till friday? I tend to not hav a drink on injection night or the night after just cos it’s a school night. After a while injections become part of ur life but u dont have to stop the things u normally would do just rethink wen u do them x

zulfihan
3 years ago

MS is very new to me and l am trying to find out as much as possible and so far it seems people with MS do follow some kind of diet along with the treatment.. which ever works for them so i decided to follow or try to follow as much as l could the Walsh protocol. Or something similar to her …

thanks

mshackney
3 years ago

Thanks Jessie – yes I suspect I am overthinking it all and more likely to be me scoffing ALL the food other than drugs that makes me put on weight. Was just a bit concerned would be like steroids when I couldn’t stop eating. I don’t drink lots of often but do like wine and cocktails

janep
3 years ago

Hi, I was on avonex for a couple of years and didn’t really get any flu-like symptoms as such but would just feel a bit headachey the next day (I did my injections at night). I definitely noticed that my headaches were worse when I was hungry or thirsty so make sure you keep well hydrated and have some snacks available to keep your energy levels up. The injection itself was the scariest thing for me as I’d previously used an autoject (I was on copaxone previously) and the switch to a manual injection freaked me out quite a lot but it was so much easier than I expected that I felt a right wally after the first one! Early days I used to work from home on ‘avonex hangover’ days but actually, when I needed to go in for something I found I felt loads better as I was distracted and not waiting around for my head to hurt! So I’d say a wedding and a 10k will be sufficiently distracting! Just make sure you have lots of fluid and energy gels! Good luck! Jane x

mshackney
3 years ago

Thank you Jane that is great info to have. Injections am ok with, it is just MRIs I need all the diazepam for xx

bryanhs
3 years ago

I was on Avonex for about 12 years. Did not get terrible flu like symptoms very often, but the day after taking it my joints would almost feel like they were welded together. Very hard to move, but by noon or so those problems were gone. I usually took 1000mg of Tylenol prior to taking shot. I have now been switched to Plegridy (peginterferon), which is really the same drug, just formulated different so I only have to do it once every 2 weeks and no side effects so far. The other advantage of Plegridy is that it is a sub-Q injection instead of IM. I did my own Avonex injections the whole time that I was on it and you do get used to it. My mom has been on it for about 5 years and does not do her own injections and never has. She goes to the County Health nurse and their office will give her the injection for $5 or so. Not sure if you’re in US or not. We live in a rural area so not sure where you would go in a more urban area to have someone inject you if you’re not comfortable doing it.

Anonymous
2 years ago

Hi all. Did it take you long to get your first batch of avonex. ? I am newly diagnosed and order mine ( new one called plegridy but it’s the same drug ) over three months ago and it’s still not arrived . Any thoughts thanks. X

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.